Interesting old photo
Found this pic in an old book about life on Long Island NY. This was taken in Greenport, Long Island circa 1888. Looks to me like the workman on the right is whetting the blade of his transitional jack plane on an oil stone, notice the oil can near the plane and what looks like the lever cap sitting on the wood.

[Image: 20160720_111709.jpg]
(07-20-2016, 10:33 AM)tshiker Wrote: Found this pic in an old book about life on Long Island NY. This was taken in Greenport, Long Island circa 1888. Looks to me like the workman on the right is whetting the blade of his transitional jack plane on an oil stone, notice the oil can near the plane and what looks like the lever cap sitting on the wood.

[Image: 20160720_111709.jpg]
I'll bet he's not too concerned whether or not his blade is "flat" enough...
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

And I'm sure he's not using a 100,000 grit ceramic stone too! 
Smile
He does have a nice way of holding the iron for sharpening. Most guys today are much more cramped with their hands.
I still dress like the guy on the left.
Great picture. What book is it from exactly? When I was growing up in VT, Long Island was just a place bad drivers came from to look at leaves... But since moving here in 2002, and having a show like TURN on, I've started to get more interested in the history. My wife was teaching 4th grade this past year, and they had a whole presentation about the revolutionary war spy ring, but she said it would be creepy if I came to the class that day... Weird right?!? lol
Benny

(07-21-2016, 08:50 AM)bennybmn Wrote: Great picture. What book is it from exactly? When I was growing up in VT, Long Island was just a place bad drivers came from to look at leaves... But since moving here in 2002, and having a show like TURN on, I've started to get more interested in the history. My wife was teaching 4th grade this past year, and they had a whole presentation about the revolutionary war spy ring, but she said it would be creepy if I came to the class that day... Weird right?!? lol

Bennybmn, that's funny! when I was growing up Vermont was where Larry, Darryl and Darryl lived! 
Wink

The book is, Suffolk County, Long Island in Early Photographs 1867-1951. Published by Dover Publications inc. 1984
(07-21-2016, 07:27 PM)tshiker Wrote: Bennybmn, that's funny! when I was growing up Vermont was where Larry, Darryl and Darryl lived! 
Wink

The book is, Suffolk County, Long Island in Early Photographs 1867-1951. Published by Dover Publications inc. 1984

When I was a kid, my grandparents had an anniversary party at the Waybury Inn in East Middlebury, which was the inspiration for the one in the Newhart show!
Benny