Inside siding for a shop
(07-20-2016, 03:54 PM)sroxberg Wrote: I don't want to use Dry Wall, and I'm not a fan of flake board. I want a smooth surface that I can paint and will have nailer strips horizontally every two feet on the wall for extra strenght to screw shelves and items to.

Any suggestions on products that I should look for? I probably need 10 foot lengths so that I can run the sheets vertically and avoid horizontal seams.

Thanks in advance.

FRP panels come in 4x10 sheets. Not cheap $59.00 a panel and you still need a plywood back.
They have a pebble face on one side or a completely smooth face on what is generally used as the back of the panel. There are small discounts on 10 and over sheets per order.
Plus side, looks good, easy to clean, white color goes thru the panel. 
Con, needs a solid back panel as these FRP is glued on. Also expensive compared to other options. I believe fire proof, not positive of that.

mike
I used drywall.  I wish I had put in more blocking.  I am hanging some cabinets and put in blocking for that, and I also put in blocking for where I'm going to hang my dust collector.
(02-19-2018, 08:39 AM)EricU Wrote: I used drywall.  I wish I had put in more blocking.  I am hanging some cabinets and put in blocking for that, and I also put in blocking for where I'm going to hang my dust collector.

You can install " kitchen metal" with panel adhesive and a few temporary screws to hold it til the adhesive dries.
Not sure if the box stores sell it, drywall suppliers have many different sizes. Lay out the top and bottom of each cabinet on the drywall. The top  can be one long piece of 3 or 4" wide kitchen metal. Run a zig zag a bead of subfloor adhesive on the wall. Screw the metal to the stud in the center and work towards each end to prevent a bubble.
If you are new to this then predrill the holes first. I use drywall screws , the heads  will stick out about an 1/8" .
If you are screwing into wood studs then forget the screws and use  roofing nails. They do not have to be removed.
Then you can Repeat for the bottom being careful the metal is above the cabinet bottom.
Using roofing nails means you can install your cabinets right away. If you used screws, wait til the next day to remove them
mike
Mines drywall with French cleats to hang stuff off of.

Happy with it.

I doubt every square Inch of your shop will have shelves so maybe a combination of drywall and plywood? The taping behind my base cabinets is awful but I don't care.

For shelves I've made a unit that hangs off the French cleat.

Drywall painted up nicely. Also I thought it was required for fire code but not certain.

Is there a ceiling? If so what is that surfaced with?

Mike
(07-20-2016, 03:56 PM)meackerman Wrote: you can order just lots of plywood in 4'x10' sheets.  Its going to be costly though.  I was going to use 4x10 OSB on my new building to minimize seams, but the price of the larger sheets made me go back and use the 4x8 sheets.

Did you check CalPly?  They usually have the best pricing and no need to wait as they stock it.  Good place for drywall too.  HD wanted more money and a wait time for 4x10 fire rock, CalPly had it in stock for less
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

My current plan is to use plybead 4x8 panels.  Keith Rucker used it in his new (really huge) shop and it looks good.  Its only 3/8 thick, so I'm somewhat concerned about using it to hang cabinets though.  

Keith also used pre-painted corrugated roofing as wainscoting in an effort to have a cleanable surface near metalworking machines.  It looks good.  I don't have a picture, but here are two videos that show the result.  And if I did it right, I have them start at the right point in the video.  

It apparently isn't tongue and groove, which means you can easily remove a single panel to do any electrical/mechanical work. I have 10 ft walls, so I'll use the plybead from the top. Maybe some different wainscoting below. I don't think I like the corrugations, so I need to think about that.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Amazing how often someone here mentions youtube creators that I watch. Gotta second you
on the metal roofing as wainscoting in a shop. Blech. It works for him I suppose, his shop is
very large and it sorta "blends." 

Of course, that is the METAL working side of his shop. Time will tell what he will do in the
OTHER side, the woodworking side, when he gets around to that. He is one busy guy.

My wood shop is drywall, walls and ceiling, but I am going to put some wainscoting ( wood strips given
to me from some friends who were remodeling ) in it this year. It will be will be painted white
(Swiss Coffee from Home Depot) to match the drywall above it.

I have not attached much to the walls, but plan to later on.

Might be time for some shop pics after some of these mods....
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I actually like his look. I just don't want to clean it. Tempered hardboard as wainscoting might be a good look. Its semi-cleanable, at least, since its oil tempered.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
it's alive. Year and a half old thread brought back to life.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
I just installed the walls in my new shop this weekend. Lowe's currently carries a white wood cabinet grade plywood. It has very little grain pattern to it and one side is sanded and pre-primed. It looks similar to a white wash effect. I installed the primed side out and like the look.
John