North Bros yankee spiral ratchet screwdriver question?
I have 30a North Bros yankee spiral ratchet screwdriver question? Is this supposed to have a spring inside it so when you push down it returns to the extended position. I picked up one yesterday and it does not.
I'm not certain on the numbers but a couple models don't have springs. Does the end of the handle have a big screw head in it. Those I believe have the springs, it's how they get the spring in there.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
yes it has a large screw i wonder if the spring was removed?

I should never forget to use google I guess this feature is called rapid return. It is amazing how much good info is out there

https://www.google.com/search?q=Yankee+3...e&ie=UTF-8
(07-23-2016, 09:01 AM)Jack in omaha Wrote: yes it has a large screw i wonder if the spring was removed?

I should never forget to use google I guess this feature is called rapid return. It is amazing how much good info is out there

https://www.google.com/search?q=Yankee+3...e&ie=UTF-8

30A does not have and never did have a spring return, the 130A does.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
No springs in the 30A 
130A has the spring

Just on a side note if the shaft if sticky moving in and out of the body and you have cleaned and lubed it well, most likely the shaft is bent.
(07-23-2016, 08:18 AM)Jack in omaha Wrote: I have 30a North Bros yankee spiral ratchet screwdriver question? Is this supposed to have a spring inside it so when you push down it returns to the extended position. I picked up one yesterday and it does not.

General rule of thumb is that Yankee Screwdrivers with 3 digits have a spring, those with only two do not.  I.e. 30A, 31A do not come with springs, while the equivalent YS's with spring returns are 130A, 131A, etc.  I believe you may be able to add a spring to a non-spring YS, but I also understand that the non-spring YS's are slightly shorter, which may negate the ability to add a spring. 

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
thanks to all, When i saw the large screw on handle I wodered if the spring had been removed.
Some carpenters loved the springs; some either experienced or feared the catch coming loose at the wrong time and sending the bit through the plaster or a window or a coworker.

I've been startled a couple of times by having the catch release when I didn't plan on it, but I've been fortunate that all I did was scare myself.
It's not unusual to have the prior owner remove the spring.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis