Rust hunting finds
It's been a long cruel summer to borrow a phrase. First back in April I severed the tendon in my left middle finger. It took two surgeries to fix it. Then about four weeks after, I developed a condition called Radial nerve palsy completely making my left arm useless! Thank god i'm right handed! Anyway doing anything in the shop is out of the question for now. But that doesn't mean I can't look for treasures! I saw an ad on Craigslist for an old carpenters tool box with tools for sale. The one pic in the ad showed a rusty handsaw in an old carry type wooden tool box. It was 45 minutes away but seeing as I had nothing better to do, I took a ride. 

[Image: 20160723_181351.jpg]

[Image: 20160723_181419.jpg]

[Image: 20160723_181707.jpg]

Very cool user made tool box! Probably had to make it as part of being an apprentice. leather straps for holding the handsaws in the lid, leather pulls for the upper till. Lots of corner protectors, hasps and hinges on the outside of this box. The slides for the tills is made out of some leftover trim.

As far as tools go, I left all the saws with the old owner. The saw that was the oldest had his grandfather's name stamped in it and was special to him, so I let him keep it. There were other, newer saws, cold chisels, drill bits, taps ect that I didn't want so I left them too.

The large plane in the pic is a K6 C. It has a broken tote but otherwise is in very good shape. I don't seem to find many Keen Kutter tools on Long Island. Maybe they weren't that big in the north east as I think it was kind of a midwest company? 
Small bench plane is a Stanley #3 C missing the lateral lever, it has some surface rust but will clean up nicely. The stamped steel block plane is a low angle Sargent, not too exciting. A Stanley 110 and some auger bits round out the remainder of the tools except for the rafting square. Probably the most exciting piece for me is the Sargent 600BR Take down rafter square. I have never come across one before but I like it! I don't know if i'll ever use it but it has a certain cool factor.

[Image: 20160723_181735.jpg]

All in all not a bad haul for $60.00, after all it was a nice day for a ride.

Tom.
Nice get Tom. Not sure I would have made the drive based on what you said was in the ad pic. I would have lost. I would love to find one of those take down squares.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Can you show a picture of the square broken down?
Hi Jim,
I would not have made the trip (syosset) either but seeing as driving and sitting at home are the only two things I can do, it was a no brainer! Lol

Hi Tim,
I hope this helps. Sorry i'm not the best photographer. The two screws are captive in the short arm and there is an alignment pin in between the screws. The tongue (I just made that up so don't quote me) is slightly  tapered as is the receiver for it. I think this helps to hold it true. When I get the use of my hand back I will clean it up and post some better pictures.

[Image: 20160724_205253.jpg]

[Image: 20160724_205244.jpg]
It sure is good to see this type of post again. Seems that they were avoided with the changeover in software.

r2
(07-24-2016, 08:50 PM)lilrichard2 Wrote: It sure is good to see this type of post again. Seems that they were avoided with the changeover in software.

r2

Yeah Richard I hope things start to pick up around here now that it seems all or most of the bugs are worked out.
Surprised that no one has pointed out the obvious yet: YOU SUCK!
Big Grin
Big Grin 

Great find and a very nice hunting post.

The K6C and the perfect-handle screwdriver are really nice finds. I had never even heard of break-down rafter squares. Very
Cool

Sorry to hear of your health problems, but I join the others in wishing you a rapid and full recovery
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(07-24-2016, 11:03 PM)iclark Wrote: Surprised that no one has pointed out the obvious yet: YOU SUCK!
Big Grin
Big Grin 

Great find and a very nice hunting post.

The K6C and the perfect-handle screwdriver are really nice finds. I had never even heard of break-down rafter squares. Very
Cool

Sorry to hear of your health problems, but I join the others in wishing you a rapid and full recovery

Thanks for the well wishes Ivan. I think the K6C will clean up nicely!
I can't see the photos in the follow up post...sorry
I'm with Tim, I can't see the follow up pics either.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.