Are there flexible dip tubes (water heaters)
I need to replace my old State water heater's dip tube and have only about 2.5ft clearance above it. Are there any dip tubes that will flex enough to do this repair? I know that I can totally disconnect all the plumbing and gas lines and do this, but would prefer not to.

Thanks! Fred
Out of the box thinking... if there is an attic above consider drilling a small hole to allow the dip tube to extend up into the attic (Wrap it in a plastic bag first) and then drop it into the heater.  Then, patch the hole or cover it with a round electrical blank cover.
WoodNET... the new safespace
What is a dip tube?  If you mean the anode tube then there are tubes with joints that you can buy.  A plunbing supply store will have them.  A pretty common thing to use - especially for basements since the ceilings are usually shorter.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Just a pipe internal to the water heater that carries the cold water down to the bottom of the tank.

No idea if there are flexible ones out there. Hole in the ceiling may end up being the best method.
With 2.5' of clearance you are probably ok.  Go to your local big box and check out the replacements..the one I bought was pretty thinwalled plastic.  After a couple hours in a hot attic it probably becomes fairly curve-able.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Yes,Google it.I have installed one flexible dip tube where the ceiling was too low for a regular one. I recall buying it from a plumbing supply house.I had to cut the old tube to get it out.
mike
To be clear, a dip tube is a plastic tube that carries the cold water into the water heater. If one deteriorates, in-coming water fails to make it to the bottom of the tank and the water heater doesn't work correctly.

Fred
My mistake, the flexible tube I referred to is not a dip tube but the anode.They do come flexible  if needed.
mike
good water heater info here:
I buy most of my stuff from them.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/Longevi...eater.html
(07-25-2016, 01:20 PM)bottd Wrote: Just a pipe internal to the water heater that carries the cold water down to the bottom of the tank.

No idea if there are flexible ones out there. Hole in the ceiling may end up being the best method.

That's what I ended up doing. Thanks!