Dark tint base and Ipe
I posted a question down in the home improvement but got no response. Since it has to do with finishing wood project I thought I might try here. I am planning on building a pergola and a 4'x6' stoop out the back door with stairs to the new patio. My first thought was to use Ipe. I don't like the grey natural look so if I go with the expense of Ipe I want some protection on it. My research has also found that the oil finishes really do not hold up well on Ipe. That got me thinking about the dark tint base paint. Has anyone tried using the paint base on Ipe? I am also concerned how well it would hold up on the horizontal surfaces like the railing caps and decking on the stoop. If that doesn't work then I think I might just go with either ceder or pressure treated with a semi-transparent or opaque stain. The stain option should give me at least a couple years between reapply unlike the at least once a year maintenance with the oil and Ipe.
I've never read anywhere about putting paint on Ipe'.  I would worry about how well it would stick. 

I'd rather do a cleaning and re-oiling once or even twice a year than be faced with repairing a film finish that starts to peel.  I'm hoping my Ipe' deck will eventually stop drinking in the oil so that I don't have to do it as often.  Once a year would be fine; twice a year not so much fun.  It's not hard to do, but I have other things I'd prefer to do.  

I'll be interested in how it goes should you choose the paint option.  

John