Sockets, wrenches etc.
I have a tool chest to keep all that stuff in which is on rollers. I used to like to restore older car's and had a couple TR6's that need constant tuning the duel carburetors but it was fun.

Steve
Household sales!

I have found garage/yard sales to have few tools and a waste of my time.

I have found auctions to be finicky, sometimes there are deals, sometimes not.

Initially I purchased good mechanics tools at retail.  Over time I have acquired more through the cheaper sources mentioned above. I can lend to the neighbor without fear of damage, keep a small set in the car and not worry about theft, etc..
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(07-30-2016, 03:05 PM)Cecil Wrote: Household sales!

I have found garage/yard sales to have few tools and a waste of my time.

I have found auctions to be finicky, sometimes there are deals, sometimes not.

Initially I purchased good mechanics tools at retail.  Over time I have acquired more through the cheaper sources mentioned above. I can lend to the neighbor without fear of damage, keep a small set in the car and not worry about theft, etc..

I keep a multi drawer metal base cabinet for all my mechanic tools in the shop.   I also have a couple shallow drawers in my woodworking bench fitted out for wrenches and other tools.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I bought one of those cheap tool sets at HF and keep that in the house.  I rarely use it but it has pretty much all the tools I need for simple jobs in the house.  I also keep a cordless drill in the house.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
last year's Black Friday at Lowes, they had a lot of tool sets on sale.  The one I bought came in a case, which is really convenient for a lot of household jobs.  I also got a new toolbox, so I moved an older one into the basement shop. It's really nice to have a place for my tools.
I have multiple sets as well.  Most of my mechanics tools ride in the truck (because that way I will always have them). 

Over the past years, I have accumulated another small set to keep in the garage.  Craftsman top box tool chest off of craigslist, std/metric allen wrenches; Philips, flat, and torx screwdrivers; std/metric 3/8 socket sets; std/metric small to medium combination wrenches.  All of these were either black Friday deals or remnants of when I upgraded a tool to keep in the truck. 

Use them often enough to be glad I have them handy.  Adjusting the fence on my Incra miter gauge, changing plates on my router bases, etc.
(08-01-2016, 07:05 AM)EricU Wrote: last year's Black Friday at Lowes, they had a lot of tool sets on sale.  The one I bought came in a case, which is really convenient for a lot of household jobs.  I also got a new toolbox, so I moved an older one into the basement shop. It's really nice to have a place for my tools.

We bought one of those kits for our Son and he use's it all the time, great tools. If he drives on a trip or goes out in the boat he will take along this kit.  I was going to buy one for myself but I have way to many Snap on and Mac tools, with a few older Craftsman in the mix as well. 

Steve
the nice thing about newer socket sets is they have the sizes lazered into the socket so you can see it.  I just saw that there are companies that sell label sets for sockets.  I have a lot of sockets I don't use because of poor eyesight.  I'm going to try the labels, then I will have too many, if that's even possible
We have been giving tool kits to graduating High School seniors heading to college as graduation gifts. Almost without exception, the recipients have reported back that the tool kit was the handiest, most used gift they received.
Not only the woodworking and mechanic tools need to be kept separate, but maybe the projects, too. Right now I have an tractor split in half (for a new clutch) in the woodshop! The smooth concrete floor was needed so the tractor halves could be easily moved on a rolling jack.
But back to the topic: I have a tool chest for some mechanic tools in the woodshop, the rest in a different shop, and the air compressor between the two.