Painting a chain link fence??
(07-30-2016, 09:46 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: Our neighbor, Marie, passed away a couple months ago, and her sister, Judith, just moved in. Judith's husband wants to paint the chain link fence. Being that the fence portion that separates our yards actually belongs to me, he asked for my permission and said he's open to color ideas. He said he'd buy the paint to do my fence, at least the part that borders his area.

I don't know if this is a good idea. Or what paint to use. I'd think that I'd want the color to stay the normal gray/metallic, but my wife says that black might look better.

Anyone done this? Recommendations?

The fence isn't in bad condition. A couple rusty areas, but they aren't large. Maybe a couple feet in length, just on the top crossbar. The fence isn't more than 12 years old.

My first thought is that it's your fence and your bending over backwards to appease the new owners of a home next to yours so they can probably sell it easier (just a guess).  I would say that for the cost, time and energy to make it look anywhere near half-decent, THEY could go buy a few rolls of vinyl coated chain link and you could help them install it.  Make it their problem and not yours.
Thanks for all the responses guys. I hadn't even considered using a roller. Makes a lot of sense, though. I'll forward that info to them.

I'm not concerned at all what they do with the place, sell or live there. Marie was our neighbor for 15 years and was a wonderful lady. Her family took good care of her and we've gotten to know the family pretty well. They may decide to sell, but if they do, then I'll welcome the new neighbor, too.

We'll discuss the color options. I'd likely stick with a silver(ish) color, but I may be open to options like black, but I'd worry about appearance after weathering.

THanks again!
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I would check to see how much new fencing is vs paint all you bee is the fabric and ties
i would be concerned about how long the paint would stay on the fence. Bump it with a mower, hit it with a ball... Is it going to start looking like crap? I'd probably be more likely to replace it with something new.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
only suggestion i have is wash it first pretty amazing how dusty and dirty a fence can get.
I'm getting ready to do this as well. People here have black fences and they really do look better than the silver. With foliage around them, they almost disappear.
I asked the Sherwin Williams here and they said to use an oil based paint and put it on with a roller. Places around poles use a brush.
Greg, check with S/W in K.C. see what they say.
VH07V  
If you are ok with them painting the fence, I would want all my fence painted so it doesn't look bad.

Also, be aware that the painted fence will have to be repainted now and then. Who paints it then? Whill the neighbor still live there?

Going from maintenance free anything, to something that requires maintenance, isn't high on my want list!

Not knowing where the fence is (front yard, side, back yard) how long, and how visible, it's hard to make a recommendation.

If you like green, white, black or green, new colored fence fabric would be my choice. Cost depends on length.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Okay, we've decided not to paint the fence. Mostly because we were worried about having to maintain it. There's a spray-on wash chemical for chain link that also removes rust that he is buying from a large fencing company near us. Gonna try that out on a small area. If it works for him, then I may try it also.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I think you have lots of good advice above. I've never done this, but I would vote for the long nap roller being the best way to go. Rustoleum products might be good. I know they have a special primer for galvanized metal. As far as color is concerned: If you would like the fence to visually stand out then use a lighter color. If you want the fence to blend with the background and not be visually apparent, then use a dark color like flat black or dark green.