What wood to use
I am planning on making an outdoor Christmas decoration and I was wondering what wood to use?

What wood would be best?

Thanks,

Dusty
cocobolo; it's impervious to water damage.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Kind of vaguely worded Dusty. If you are asking about rot resistance there are many options. Many exotics like cocobolo, domestics like osage mesquite or black locust, etc. if it will not be touching the ground then less resistant woods wills till last a long time.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
How big is it?  Is it like an ornament, or on the scale of those yard props you see like Santa in his sleigh?  Frankly, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on exotic woods for something that might sit in my front yard, susceptible to theft or vandalism.  If it's ornaments hanging on your tree in your backyard, I'd think about something different.  You may also consider painting whatever is going to be displayed, or using marine varnish on the finished product.  White oak is one relatively inexpensive choice that's widely available and has very good durability when exposed to the elements.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Heartwood cedar or heartwood cypress would be my first choices. Light and highly rot-resistant. White oak (heartwood) is also pretty rot-resistant.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Where do you live? Here in NH, most of the woods already mentioned are not readily available here except for oak. I've made some stand up cut outs from plain white pine - painted them - and they stay out in our winter climate for about a couple of months/year. Ten years later, I dust them off and use them again.
It is never hot or cold in NH. It is always seasonal.
I agree that more info is needed. Around here an outdoor Christmas feature is almost always plywood, and painted. Your idea/plan may be different than what I am thinking.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW