Tool Roll Rust
I have a set of carving chisels that I store in a canvas tool roll from Woodcraft. I don't use them often and recently I pulled them out for a task and was surprised to find rust on the carving chisels and rust stains on the canvas. 

I am currently going through and cleaning off the rust. I don't normally have a rust problem with any tools, so I am guess that the canvas may have something to do with it. The canvas is not waxed. Would waxing it prevent rust? Any ideas on an easy way to wax canvas?
Why not simply google: "how to wax canvas"
I never had an issue here in Omaha. But, I use old army surplus canvas. I never thought there was much difference in canvass. Canfields here an Army surplus center used to get a lot of the WW2 stuff. 
Canvass has got really expensive. Most of the time I cut and sew old canvass stuff. Where do you live? I am in the hunt for a large old canvass tarp. I bought a boy scout tent it fills a duffel bag and I am thinking about cutting it up. I paid $40 and it has never been out the duffel bag very heavy. This stuff I seek is fairly heavy. I just looked a a small tarp I am using outside to covert wet wheel grinder it still has a tag indicating a date of 1960. The tag also reads 100% cotton.
I bought a roll of carving Rifflers from Patrick Leach awhile back. The roll was canvas and the Rifflers all were covered with superficial rust, (cleaned off beautifully in a vinegar bath). I Noticed that the canvas was rusty in spots that corresponded with the rust spots on the tools. It was clear these tools had been in the roll for a long time.

I am of the opinion that tool rolls are not a good long term storage solution, no matter what material they are made from. I do have a lot of tool rolls and use them to transport tools to jobs, classes, and the like, but when I'm done they go back into a chest.

Of course if you use the tools frequently you will be handling them and keeping track of them so you will see when rust begins to form, and you can correct it immediately. But for long term storage I think it's best to wipe them down with oil or wax and set them in drawer or a chest where not much is touching them.

DC
(08-06-2016, 08:45 AM)DCarr10760 Wrote: I bought a roll of carving Rifflers from Patrick Leach awhile back.  The roll was canvas and the Rifflers all were covered with superficial rust, (cleaned off beautifully in a vinegar bath).  I Noticed that the canvas was rusty in spots that corresponded with the rust spots on the tools.  It was clear these tools had been in the roll for a long time.

I am of the opinion that tool rolls are not a good long term storage solution, no matter what material they are made from.  I do have a lot of tool rolls and use them to transport tools to jobs, classes, and the like, but when I'm done they go back into a chest.

Of course if you use the tools frequently you will be handling them and keeping track of them so you will see when rust begins to form, and you can correct it immediately.  But for long term storage I think it's best to wipe them down with oil or wax and set them in drawer or a chest where not much is touching them.

DC

Here's an interesting link that may be of some help in waxing a canvas tool roll...

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/06/03...-and-gear/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

This company uses waxed leather and waxed canvass to construct bags. I think it is a raw product you can buy.

http://artifactbags.com/

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtifactBags

Found this about 14 a yard

http://www.fairfieldtextile.com/fabrics.html

and this
http://www.bigduckcanvas.com/waxed-canvas.html
Canvas is porous, like most fabrics, so moisture can get inside the canvas.  With big swings in temperature, you can get condensation on tools inside canvas tool rolls.  I live in the desert, so I don't get much, if any rust on my tools.  When I was on assignment in Missouri for a couple of years, I found that wiping the tools down with some sort of oil (camelia, synthetic motor oil, etc.) before I return them to the roll mitigates the rust.  Joel Moskowitz, from Tools for Working Wood, has at one time suggested stuffing a small rag soaked with oil in each pocket of a tool roll.  The business end of the tool gets stuffed in the pocket.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks all,  Once I get the tools cleaned up, I will wax the tool roll. I store the chisels with the handles in the pockets so I think I will oil up the chisels real good when storing them.
Thanks for the tip on Otter Wax!
Is where you store your tools climate controlled?

I went to a carving class a while back the instructor cautioned us about keeping carving tools rolled up that they will rust.

Take them out once in a while and coat with Jatoba or Camella oil.

Hate to see it happen once the rust starts you always battle it.

I would suggest keeping the roll in a sealed plastic bin with either Damp Rid or Naphta crystals.

Now I need to go check mine!!