My vice is vises--Columbian rehab part I
I think there are eight mounted woodworking vises in my shop now, counting those built into my Ulmia bench, so there is really no need for another. Metalworking vises are pretty well covered also, as is the machinist line. But when I hang out too long at the auction site, my fingers twitch. Here is the latest orphan vise that I could not pass up. It is a 6" Columbian that was used gently and was just too pretty to pass up.
[Image: IMG_3868.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3869.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3870.jpg]

The model is 6 CD. It is six inches across and has a pop up dog. Nothing is broken but it is in desperate need of a good facelift.

I have a bug about casting marks, so I started with the grinder and files. The pop up dog was user made. Previous Owner did a good job but he was in a hurry and cut the thing crooked. I imagine he was in the middle of a project when the original gave up. Ranting and swearing ensued whilst he cobbled up a new one so he could continue. I fixed the annoying issue with 45 seconds at the grinder.

[Image: DSCN0426.jpg]
Next came casting issues. The handle hole had sharp seam projections on both sides. I imagine that on manufacture day, the new guy passed this one on as "good enough" and the quality inspector was eating a donut. It probably is the reason that the handle was MIA. My guess is that it was pretty chewed up. No matter, a minute or two with the rat tailed file took care of everything.

[Image: DSCN0430.jpg]

The next issue was at the dog boss. It had seam marks but was in a hard to reach area. Once again, the new guy passed it as "good enough" as the inspector wiped sugar from his hands. This took a little more filing but I made it look better.

[Image: DSCN0436.jpg]
So after a little grinding and filing, the vise was ready for a spa treatment. I grabbed a few socks from the nearby dispenser and liberally applied mineral spirits. It did not take long to get everything clean and ready for taping and painting.
[Image: DSCN0437.jpg]

I noticed during cleaning that the sock was getting red--not rust red, but candy apple red. I think we now know the original paint color.

So I will be working on this one for the next few weeks. Monsoons have hit north Florida, bringing cooler weather. That means more shoptime and more projects. Except that I have to have a procedure on Monday. It's that one where you have no food the day before but you drink a gallon of stuff. Then the Dr explores while you sleep.

I hope to have this little guy painted and fixed by the end of the month. I need to make some jaws and a handle. There is a bit of hickory and ash here that would look stunning with that candy apple red color. I think I might make the jaws thick and oversized--maybe an inch on each side, or 8" total. Opinions? And I need to find a spot on some bench where I can mount it. Stay tuned for the next installment.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Very nice
Red vise with fresh wood gear would look great!

Nice to see what the removal of a couple of ounces of metal and oxide can do for an old piece like that.
Chris
Jim I can't wait to see it, I am sure it will look like a Million Dollars. Good luck on your procedure I am going have to go through the same thing myself, probably would be a good idea to have it done this year since I have hit my deductible 
Big Grin.

Steve
Happy 50th birthday.
Yeah, you definitely have a weakness.

I do love these rehab threads, though. It's fun to follow along as a master puts an old - but useful - tool back into original or better condition.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
When I read Columbian Rehab I had a totally different idea in mind.   

Nice job on the vice ..
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
Ayn Rand