NEW QUESTIONS ADDED!! Adding 220v to my garage, can I use outdoor 10/2, and how?
I want to run 220v to my garage. It'll get its own breaker from the subpanel and I have a retired electrician coming to do it, but I need to run the wires before he gets here. I have some questions that he isn't available to answer for me, and I've seen others here get good advice.

The 10/2 wg wire I have is from a relative who had a contractor run it from the back of his house to his unattached garage, by air via poles. It is outdoor rated. There's about 75 feet of it, which will cover the distance from my panel in the basement to my attached, finished garage.

Questions:

1) Can I use this outdoor 10/2 line for this purpose?

2) Can I surface mount this wire along the ceiling line, or must I use conduit (Which I already have also)?

3) If I need to use conduit, can I run it at any height, or should I still run it along the ceiling line and just have the 2 drops where I want them?

Other advice???

Thanks in advance!
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Take a picture or tell us exactly what is printed on the wire sheath.

Nonmetallic cable (romex) is generally not allowed in conduit nor run in unprotected space. Inside walls and ceilings is fine.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Here you go, thanks.

Encore Wire Corp.
10/2 WG Type UF-B Sun-RES 600V 04/MAR/14
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
You putting in a panel.in the shop?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I think you want 10/3.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
What load are you planning on feeding? What's its amp draw?
I will not be putting a panel in the garage, it is only 25 feet from the panel which is in the basement.

I'm not sure of the amp draw, but I plan on running only one machine at a time, other than the DC, which will run concurrently with another machine. There will be an 80 gal 5hp compressor, an 8 inch jointer, and eventually a SawStop PCS, each on the 220. Again, only one at a time.

The 10/2 does have a ground wire, also.

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
That wire will be fine for a 240V outlet, I think what some of the questions poked at was if it would feed a subpanel, then you might want the 10/3. But your outlet will only have 2 hots and a ground, so you're covered...and the #10 is good for 30 amps.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
UF-B is direct-burial cable, used for things like pool pumps and post lanterns.  It is permitted as a branch circuit cable indoors where NM would be used, so it looks like you're ok with it.  I believe it's limited to the 60C ampacity column, which limits 10 gauge copper to 30A.  Should be fine for what you want to use it for.

I would suggest you run two circuits, though, as a big DC or air compressor can run concurrently with dust/chip making machines.  Same effort to run two cables, and leave one coiled at each end if you don't want to hook it up right away.

As a side note, I didn't think UF-B was rated for aerial applications.  But that's not your problem. 
Raised  Hey, the People's Eyebrow is back.  My favorite.  Cool.  
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Excellent, thanks guys. Just one more question:

Should I or is there a requirement for using conduit with this?

I want to do this correct and safe. If I run this at about 5' height, I feel like I probably should use conduit, to protect it from bumps/damage. If I run it near the ceiling, do I need conduit?

www.RUSTHUNTER.com