ROS Replacement
(08-09-2016, 05:37 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Replace it with a scraper!!

Oh, don't worry, have that in spades, but doing two bathroom vanities and frame and panel wainscoting requires some production techniques.  I generally don't sand on furniture projects, but scrape.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The Bosch variable speed sanders are my preference. I hate palm sanders; too much vibration and not enough control.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Whatever you do make sure that whatever you get can be hooked up to your shop vac.  I sanded a couple hundred (well maybe 150) without a vac.  The entire shop was covered in dust.  My wonderful wife told me to go out an get a Festool + Dust Extractor.  She even went with me to get it.  Not pimping Festool, merely saying that a good vac + a good sander is a whole 'nother ball game.  I particularly like being able to plug the too into the vac and it turns the vac on when the tool is turned on.  It's not so much that I'm lazy (true) but that I really can't bend over all that much.  Convenience is good.  YMWV
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Wood magazine just did a review on 5" ROS. The Festool and Mirka Deros was rated the top tool, but to my surprise the Craftsman 2109 was rated "top value" alomg with the Dewalt 6423. I know a lot of guys don't like the tool reviews thinking they are rigged; I'm not one of them. It's always useful to see side by side comparisons. Still, my favorite remains the Bosch. I've had my 3725, well, forever, and it's still going strong and with a vac leaves no dust behind.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I still have one US made PC 333 still kicking. Not surprisingly it has outlived a Chinese version that was at least 5 years newer.

I know you said you wouldn't go green but that's what I did and man I tell you what a difference. Barring that I would go Dewalt for ease of parts available.
-Marc

Have used this one for sanding down "circular sawed rough oak saw mill lumber to achieve the vintage look.  Bosch 1250DEVS 6-1/2-Amp 6-Inch Random Orbit Sander with Vacuum connection.   Definitely use a shop vac.
For finishing, still have PC 33/4 as others have mentioned, also a bosch and dewalt.  Not sure which of the three is better.