shingles
(08-12-2016, 10:33 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I'm not a pro, but I've done  my share of roofing over the years.  I've worked with any number of different "crews" of volunteers, friends, family, etc.  I've never seen a roof done so poorly.  That is incredible.

+1

Must have been drunk, or had no clue what they were doing.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(08-10-2016, 07:48 PM)whatline Wrote: Stay away from iko and tamko.

What's wrong with Tamko?  They seem to have a better warranty than most, 20 year replacement including labor.
Warranties are written by who? The manufacturer right. All shingle warranties are chock full of gotchas. Look at the weight of the fb mat and even how those fibers are laid out....it has to due with tensil strength. Price wise tamko are cheaper. That's why you see a lot of the big home builders installing them
(08-16-2016, 08:03 PM)whatline Wrote: Look at the weight of the fb mat and even how those fibers are laid out....it has to due with tensil strength.

Are you saying higher weight is better, so the Tamko would be better?  Maybe I misunderstood.

It's the lifetime warranty Tamko Heritage premium we are looking at, maybe you are thinking of the more entry level shingle?

Thanks.
Best cure for shingles is to see your doctor.

The best cure for the shingle roof is metal.
Big Grin
I bet you can't name anyone that has successfully claimed for premature (asphalt) shingle failure.

I don't care what you think the warranty says, they will not pay.
that's what both my FIL contractors.  You get a warranty, but its not worth the paper its written on.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

LIL, this discussion makes me recall when my father, who worked at Johns Manville, got "seconds" of shingles that didn't meet spec, and re-roofed our house.  I was 5 years old when he did the job in 1958.  Last year, the insurance company made us re-roof the house in order to renew our policy.  Still no failure, no leaks, in over 58 years.  They were pretty worn down, no issue there, but did their job for an awful long time.  Sort of hard to believe, but true.

Edit, 57 years, I was never any good at math.....  LOL
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
No like I said warranties don't mean much. I'm in the trade so I've installed many different steep and low sloped roof. I also read the trade publications and talk to the suppliers . GAF, OC, Certiateed are all better products per the guys that sell all brands. JM used to be the king of roofing especially built up. Asphalt shingles were sold by weight per sq. the typical 3 tab was reverred to as 225's. The f.g. shigles of today are much thinner