New shop space ideas welcomed-
(08-10-2016, 04:01 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: If doing electrical add-on, consider a welding circuit. 'Ya nevva' know when a welder might follow you home.

Run a line for 'phone. If there already is a line present, think about a 'phone with the key pad in the hand set. If you're ever injured -- heaven forbid -- and need to crawl to 'phone and knock it off the base, it will be useless in an emergency if you can not reach the key pad.

Thanks for the advice.....  What amperage for the welder....  a welder is in the long term plans.  I will be running 30 amp lines for the stationary tools.... sufficient or no?

One other question....  Whats this phone with cords and lines you are talking about?????
Laugh
Laugh

(08-10-2016, 05:49 PM)dg152 Wrote: As others have already said, you can't have enough lighting.  If I were putting new lights in my shop I'd put all LED lights in.  More expensive, yes, but power efficient.  And, unlike florescent lights they don't take time to power up when it's cold.

Put electrical outlets in the ceiling.  I have 2 retractable electrical extension cords mounted on the ceiling.  They are invaluable and help keep power cords out of the way.

When we built my shop, the contractor said that I wouldn't need any more than a couple of circuits and outlets.  Wrong!  Since then I've added 6 more 20 amp circuits and a 220v outlet.  You may not have anything that requires 220 now but there's always a chance......

I've also got a hotel style AC/Heater.  Since my shop is stand alone with water I don't want the pipe lines to freeze during the winter.  So it's at least 40 degrees in there at all times.  By the way, you should also insulate your garage door, too.

I also have a utility sink in my shop.  Very useful for cleaning stuff.

I'll think of some more stuff once I post this note.

Congrats on the new house and shop!
Thanks, the Jointer, planer, tablesaw, cyclone, and bandsaw are already 220....  I am already in deep.  A cord reel or two is a good idea
Mongo: just looked and the electrician who wired my shop put in  a 50 amp breaker for the welder.
Depends upon the welder.  A buzz box will likely take 50 amps; my MIG only 30 amp.  The plugs are different, too, so you can't really plan ahead besides designating a spot in your panel for that breaker.  

30 amps will run a 5 HP motor.  It's overkill for a 3 HP one.  That's why you should plan your shop layout and then route the utilities per that layout.  

John
Wood racks man! You gotta have room for wood!

I use 18" long sections of galvanized pipe inserted 3" deep into 2X material and angled up at 5 degrees. I limit each row to no more than 5 boards deep, and have multiple rows.

r2
(08-10-2016, 07:30 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Depends upon the welder.  A buzz box will likely take 50 amps; my MIG only 30 amp.  The plugs are different, too, so you can't really plan ahead besides designating a spot in your panel for that breaker.  

30 amps will run a 5 HP motor.  It's overkill for a 3 HP one.  That's why you should plan your shop layout and then route the utilities per that layout.  

John

I should have been clearer I am familiar with the tools I have, welders I know enough to know I dont know what I will need.  I would rather have a little extra than not enough
Lumber storage.
I built a open end lumber rack to store lumber horizontally, on edge. The rack is 15" wide, 8' tall and 8' long.
Filled it would hold over 500 bf, with the ability of sliding any board out to check grain, etc, without moving any other boards.  
Have 1 end open to a door for loading.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
You have a pic of that setup Pirate?
http://www.homewetbar.com/images/prod/ke...n49264.jpg

and a sink
I put in an old style porcelain kitchen sink with the drain board on the side. Got it from a salvage place. The porcelain is not very good but it doesn't have to be. So handy to wash up, or clean fish, or whatever, and not take the dirt in the house. And it's MY sink. I can leave it dirty if I don't feel like cleaning up behind myself.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
I would put a lot of thought into where you put the dust collector and other big tools.
Arrange tools to minimize mobile base moving around.
One of the best things I ever did was find a spot against the wall to park my jointer against so I didn't have to move it in and out and reconnect the dust collector tube.
The open space required for the outfeed of the jointer was shared with the open space by the door entrance.  The open space for the infeed of the jointer has some short filing cabinets to store things in..   Point is, it is important to plan for open space and you can sometimes get double duty from it.

You might not be able to find a fixed spot for everything, but try to make your most often used tools in fixed positions, if possible.