New shop space ideas welcomed-
(08-09-2016, 03:15 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: I am guessing Cement Block Structure?

Pedro

Yes that is right, here in Florida most homes are made from Concrete Block Construction.

Steve
(08-11-2016, 10:50 AM)mongo Wrote: You have a pic of that setup Pirate?

Here is a pic.
It's just 6, 2x4's with dados to hold 7/16" x 12" wide particle board shelves. Tops of the end 2x4's are c clamped to the building frame.
[Image: rack.jpg]
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Does anyone know of an iPhone app for shop layout?

I know Grizzly has one for PC. I can't get it to work on an iPhone

Duke
Quote:Run a line for 'phone. If there already is a line present, think about a 'phone with the key pad in the hand set. If you're ever injured -- heaven forbid -- and need to crawl to 'phone and knock it off the base, it will be useless in an emergency if you can not reach the key pad.

Phone is also good when no one else is home.  I would also run a line for computer -- may not need it now, but time will come.  I use mine for internet music.

Quote:Install a smoke detector

But make sure it's got a switch -- you don't want to have to put up with a smoke detector going off every time your table saw, etc gets a little out of adjustment
Rolleyes

Quote:First step: take large sheet of butcher paper and draw a very large scale drawing of your shop, showing windows, doors, electrical, etc. Then draw  same-scale cut outs of your tools, any mobile cabinets, work bench potential wood storage, etc. This will give you an idea on workflow and time in motion. I did this when I had my free standing shop building constructed and it saved me a great of time, effort, moving things around etc.

I used a big piece of cardboard.  Only problem was I didn't run power cords from machines to outlets and I'm redoing it because I need all my 220v machines near my limited outlets.
Crazy  Make sure you also cut out a scaled sheet of plywood and try moving it around.  It's a whole lot easier to move scale models than the real things
Rolleyes

And too much light is just enough for now!
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Hey all I am still alive, closing went well.  Moving has been crazy per usual. I appreciate all the ideas.

Here are a few quick pictures of the space. Ancient fridge needs to go. and old mystery chemicals need to go.

[Image: 20160812_200523_zpsi41xvbbk.jpg]

[Image: 20160812_200530_zpsf0xse8dt.jpg]

Deep clothest on back wall

[Image: 20160817_221247_zpsrq6tawpu.jpg]

More discussion to come.   I hate moving....
How exciting! New shops are like a clean sheet of paper with only possibilities. When I think of designing a new shop I always begin with lighting. Whether it's task or general, a well lit shop allows you to do finer work, especially as our eyes age(ahem!). Dust control would be my second big issue. Ideally, each machine would have a separate system that turned on when the machine was used, although many would prefer a central system. They can be problematic with ductwork lowering your ceiling height in a garage setting. I've had both and I prefer the former.
Best of luck!!!
Bill
That's great space, Mongo. Is it all yours, or do you have to share it with cars, lawn mowers, etc.? The two big closets should come in handy.
Wow those closets are defiantly a bonus, I wish I had them.  But I am thankful for what I have even if I have to share with lawn equipment and a couple bicycles.

Steve
NOW is the time to do the floor. You will never get around to removing everything later
on. And you will reap the benefits every day.

Epoxy-Coat. 

Worth every penny.

http://www.epoxy-coat.com/
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(08-19-2016, 05:54 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: NOW is the time to do the floor. You will never get around to removing everything later
on. And you will reap the benefits every day.

Epoxy-Coat. 

Worth every penny.

http://www.epoxy-coat.com/

^This. epoxy coat makes cleanup a breeze.