Wired smoke detector circuit question
Our new to us house, has a wired smoke detector, on a vaulted ceiling.
The breaker box doesn't identify the circuits.
The detector is in an area, that could use a light, and the place where the smoke detector is, would be ideal for a light, with a pull chain.
So, the question is, is it any special kind of circuit? Any reason not to remove, and replace with battery ones, and hang a light there?
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
My hard wired smoke detectors are not labeled in the panel either. It is done so that they cannot be turned off, which would be against code here.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Here they have to be on their own breaker and have a lock out type thing to keep people from switching it off
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(08-12-2016, 04:36 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: My hard wired smoke detectors are not labeled in the panel either. It is done so that they cannot be turned off, which would be against code here.

Mel

I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to track down what circuit they're on. They have to be on one of the breakers. I can't imagine it's code to not have a breaker for them. Where I live the breaker is labeled. If it weren't I'd be spending some time figuring it out just so I knew where they were.
(08-12-2016, 07:41 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to track down what circuit they're on.  They have to be on one of the breakers.  I can't imagine it's code to not have a breaker for them.  Where I live the breaker is labeled.  If it weren't I'd be spending some time figuring it out just so I knew where they were.

You are probably right, I am going to have a look, actually think I may know which one it is, so will make a note.

Mel
I've got a separate thread going on about hard wired detectors. I'm replacing mine and didn't give a thought to how they were wired...I had guessed they were just on the room circuit. I'll have to give this a look over to make sure I can shut the power off for replacement.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-13-2016, 05:42 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: You are probably right, I am going to have a look, actually think I may know which one it is, so will make a note.

Mel

(08-13-2016, 11:53 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I've got a separate thread going on about hard wired detectors. I'm replacing mine and didn't give a thought to how they were wired...I had guessed they were just on the room circuit. I'll have to give this a look over to make sure I can shut the power off for replacement.

They'll be on a breaker somewhere... I can't imagine they wouldn't be. I'm not sure it's possible to attach a hot for a branch circuit directly to the breaker bus. I've never seen a a panel that has the lugs to do that, at least not for branch circuits. My outside panel is a combination meter base and 6-circuit panel. It has an extra set of of lugs on the bus that feed the panel in the mudroom. I'm not sure it's code to put a branch circuit on these lugs.
(08-12-2016, 04:36 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: My hard wired smoke detectors are not labeled in the panel either. It is done so that they cannot be turned off, which would be against code here.

Mel

Well, that seems dangerous-- how do you change out a defective unit if you can't kill the circuit?!  I wouldn't want to do that live...

Colin
(08-14-2016, 05:16 PM)Cdshakes Wrote: Well, that seems dangerous-- how do you change out a defective unit if you can't kill the circuit?!  I wouldn't want to do that live...

Colin

These have a plug in on the back of the unit. Simply unplug old one and plug in new one. No messing with live wires.

Mel
(08-15-2016, 07:00 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: These have a plug in on the back of the unit. Simply unplug old one and plug in new one. No messing with live wires.

Mel

Depends on the age of the detectors; when I switched out mine, which dated from 2001, they changed the style of the plug so you had to pigtail in new plugs that came with the new detectors.  I must have cut the power, as I don't recall doing it with live voltage.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis