Wired smoke detector circuit question
plus, does every brand use the same plug type?  if you change to another brand, will it just plug in?
None of mine are plug type. Well, the 3 I put in when I was finishing out the unfinished space, and the one I pulled out of the box so I could extend the circuit are all wirenutted. Since the brands all match what's downstairs I assume the rest are all wired the same with wire nuts. So if I want to replace one I'd be killing the circuit to do it.
I checked on of mine and it was wirenutted as well. I was really hoping for a plug!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
what I'd do to trace the circuit is get one of those light bulb sockets with alligator clips, or get one that just has pig tails and add the clips, and get a circuit trace kit that includes the lightbulb base adapter that screws into a light socket. Then back the wire nuts off one of the smoke detectors and clip the light socket on and screw the adapter in, plug in the sending unit and go to the panel and trace the circuit its on.

you could also start shutting off circuits but that could be disruptive
(08-15-2016, 10:43 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I checked on of mine and it was wirenutted as well. I was really hoping for a plug!

I guess the guy who did the wiring figured its easier to nut the wire, than nut the plug then plug it in....???

On the other question, when I bought my new ones I asked at the supply house about the plug change, and the guy said everybody moved to the same plug, so I guess its the new "standard."  Really no big deal, changing the plugs, but I guess if you don't have a way to kill the circuit it could get a bit interesting...
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-15-2016, 01:42 PM)Admiral Wrote: I guess if you don't have a way to kill the circuit it could get a bit interesting...

The smoke detectors will be on a circuit the OP just have to figure out which one. They can't not be, and I wouldn't want them to be.