Is it me, or....
...... does the new forum format bother you, too?

Sterile? Remote? Images that look the same--lost boxes? Fewer posts and users? 

Bruce
This is a more consistent interface when moving between devices (PC / Android Phone / Tablet).  

After a few initial hiccups, it seems to be working pretty well.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I agree with you Bruce. It's been very quiet around here. 
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
I find the new format to be quite OK. It is just another change in our lives. Once you've got things figured out, it goes smoothly. Don't forget the benefits. Threads that can stay forever, runs on better hardware, etc.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I prefer the new forums, over the old.
Not getting email alerts for incoming PMs is a negative for me: I wonder what percentage of users are experiencing this?  

As far as overall appeal of new forum, it can never match my first love, I mean forum, Badger Pond.  

Bottom line: it will be what we make of it.
I sure do miss Wayne and The Pond, but the new software here is good. Too bad the younger set is not learning woodworking in school anymore. I think the woodworking community is shrinking instead of growing.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(08-15-2016, 01:01 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: I sure do miss Wayne and The Pond, but the new software here is good. Too bad the younger set is not learning woodworking in school anymore. I think the woodworking community is shrinking instead of growing.

Based on what I'm seeing at my local woodworking club (Kansas City Woodworkers' Guild) it is growing.  But with the 30+ crowd.  I'd say this is the first generation where it is a near sure bet they weren't offered "shop" in high school.  And it's a good mix of women and men who are joining and signing up for the intro classes we offer.  We've jumped from about 200 members 5 years ago to well over 400.  And about 1/2 of those members have taken the time and trouble to qualify themselves to use our shop.  We are on track to have a membership close to 500 by the end of the year. 

We have a group of volunteers who manage the shop (9,000 square feet, 5 table saws, 3 jointers, 3 planers, 5 drill presses, 2 wide belt sanders, and on and on with machinery plus about 12 workbenches, handtools (lots of LN stuff, thanks LN!), and on and on).  I run the shop on alternate Sundays, yesterday was one of my Sundays.  Had two "kids" in taking a 1/2 day crash-course where they go from rough lumber to a box w/ inset lid ready for finishing.  Had a guy in working on a water-fall style table made from a locally harvested slab.  Another getting a head-start on Xmas gifts.  Two more just in to use the big equipment to prep material to take back home to their garage shop.  And many more.

One guy had never even heard of card scrapers, let alone the Stanley #80.  He was milling some walnut to make a wall shelf and wanted to use the big wide-belt sander just to remove planer marks.  Showed him how to turn a hook on a card scraper and that he could have the surfaces of a couple of shelves prepped quicker than mucking about with sanders.  Had to go dig through the scrap bin to find him some more material to play with because he wanted to experiment with the #80.

In all, during my 6 hour shift I think I had 12 different people in to work on some aspect of a project.

New members are finding us because of things like Maker Faires and web searches.  We are getting members because of referrals by neighbors and family members.  We are getting referrals from the local Woodcraft franchise and three other lumber companys in the area.  The people are out there looking for information, looking for ways to "make".  Looking for help.  You just have to go look for them.
Rob, you should turn them on to WoodNet, new blood is always good.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-15-2016, 01:30 PM)Admiral Wrote: Rob, you should turn them on to WoodNet, new blood is always good.

I've made the suggestion but what I'm finding is that "young people" aren't interested in forums.  Too 1990's.  They are more interested in using "modern" social media methods.