Can I live without table saw?
Owing to my health, I have to cut back on extent of woodworking activities. Also, since moving, I have a much smaller shop space.

I'm thinking of selling my Unisaw and buying a track saw. I would still have a bandsaw, router table and surface planer.

Would a track saw replace some of the function of a table saw. My first thought was how easy is it to get parallel edges on a piece of wood with a track saw? Also interested in hearing any other thoughts on the idea.

I know work would take longer without a table saw, but with health and slowing down a bit, it wouldn't matter that much.

Would welcome your comments.
Dave
I could live without mine. I use my bandsaw for almost all my ripping. I don't enjoy the sawdust that the table saw throws back at me, thinner blade makes less waste, no chance of kickback and I can feed it so much faster.

I've never had a problem making parallel edge with my track saw. Just measure at the front and end of the cut and slap the rail down. The little Festool clamps are handy on wonky pieces of wood.

Let me preface this by saying that before I bought mine I would've been the first to say what a waste of money it was and anybody that bought one would have to be an person...but... I love my MFT table. It makes a lot of tasks so much easier. But I landed a good deal on Craigslist, still don't know if I could stomach full price.

Anyway, I think you could definitely do it. Build yourself a fold down out feed table for the bandsaw to accommodate ripping and you're all set.
-Marc

Depending on the projects you build, it is possible. I use a track saw to breakdown sheet goods. I use the table saw for the rest- much easier to do for me. It could be hard to get "set up" for some short cut items with a track saw vs. using a table saw.

Those are my ideas...
Kelly C
Medford, OR
in a word yes. 

TS  is a tool there are hundreds of ways to replace a tool
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Dave,
I'm sure you can but it will take more time.  One method - There are lots of you tube videos showing the use of qwas dogs and parf dogs in combination with festool mft tables or benches with dog holes setup in a similar fashion.  The videos demonstrate a simple way to setup and make square crosscuts with a track saw.  The bandsaw would probably be the best bet for long rip cuts.  There are some members who have given up their TS and seem to be doing o.k.  Maybe they'll chime in.

Lonnie
Even if you do get rid of the Unisaw in favor of a track saw, you could build one of these homemade setups and still have a table saw.

https://woodgears.ca/homemade_tablesaw/build1.html
I rid my shop of the table saw over a year ago or more. Do not miss it one bit.
Works for me.
Ag
Depends on the type of work you do. A lot of things on a TS can be accomplished with a track saw, but not all. Personally, I couldnt do 75% of what I do on my TS with a track saw. Suppose I could use a router table, but id go through bits like crazy.

In my shop, Planner, Jointer, TS, 14" BS and Router Table are my workhorse machines. Couldnt replace any of them.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Thanks for all the input. It's a big help. I think regarding some power tools, the old saying "there's more than one way to skin a cat" really applies.

I too thought I'd never waste my money on a track saw, but things do change!

Found several of my Unisaw model on Craig's List from $1,500 to 1,900 so I should do pretty well.

Aside from Fesstool, any thoughts on brand of track saw. Leaning towards De Walt, but their website no longer lists them.
Dave
I have a Festool TS75.  I like it a lot.  It has the larger blade for deeper cuts.  Plenty of motor.  Very intuitive to use.

I found the Dewalt track saw on their website.  The link points to a page that has another link on where to buy it.
http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-too...k/dws520ck
Still Learning,

Allan Hill