New Toolmaker: Crucible Tool
I saw a 1" holfast a few weeks ago. A beast, wokin very well in it's roubo.

It think Curcible makes it for the only reason no one else does.

I saw a 1/2" holdfast in a much bigger hole, that works well, too. I think the roughness of the surfsce does the trick.
[Image: IMG_0146.JPG]

Cheers
Pedder
(08-17-2016, 02:42 PM)AHill Wrote: They aren't exactly as easy to use as a holdfast, but Sjobergs does make a holdfast that fits their Elite benches. Available at many fine woodworking institutions.  I too, have a Sjobergs Elite workbench.  I didn't like the Sjobergs holdfast, and ended up drilling 3/4" holes strategically place on my bench.  I bought a couple of Gramercy holdfasts and they work just fine.

[Image: 146496.jpg]

Yeah, I saw those several years ago, not many were satisfied, that's why I went with custom.  I got mine from Junior Strassel, a smithy who I think has passed on, but I don't want to swear to that fact, and mine work really well.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-17-2016, 01:13 PM)Mike Brady Wrote:   Another good reason not to rebore....no place for the spur or lead screw to bite.

Look at it as a way to justify new tools. Get some Cook's patent auger bits. They will center in existing holes and rebore with ease. That's just one trick they do.
Wink

.. just a gentle push down the slope, Mike.. good luck!
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

(08-17-2016, 02:42 PM)AHill Wrote: They aren't exactly as easy to use as a holdfast, but Sjobergs does make a holdfast that fits their Elite benches. Available at many fine woodworking institutions.  I too, have a Sjobergs Elite workbench.  I didn't like the Sjobergs holdfast, and ended up drilling 3/4" holes strategically place on my bench.  I bought a couple of Gramercy holdfasts and they work just fine.

[Image: 146496.jpg]

Yeah, I saw those several years ago, not many were satisfied, that's why I went with custom.  I got mine from Junior Strassel, a smithy from Nebraska, who passed this past February, but I think of him every time I set one of his holdfasts.  Great fella.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have been using the original Veritas model with the screw and they have always performed flawlessly for me. The only modification I have done is to put a short section of thick tubing at the business end to prevent damage to the work piece. I know they are not traditional, but I don't think I will ever be in the market for another holdfast.

I hope the new company ends up being very successful with desirable products.
(08-18-2016, 12:48 PM)wrb Wrote: I have been using the original Veritas model with the screw and they have always performed flawlessly for me. The only modification I have done is to put a short section of thick tubing at the business end to prevent damage to the work piece. I know they are not traditional, but I don't think I will ever be in the market for another holdfast.

I hope the new company ends up being very successful with desirable products.

Depends on your definition of traditional.  The holdfasts or holddowns based on the old Record design work very well.  Not quite as fast as the whack-a-mole (and somewhat less satisfying since it doesn't involve a mallet) but good none the less.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Start simple, and grow complex.... Are they connected to Crucible Steel?

Doesn't Bench Crafted offer a cast holdfast?
(08-17-2016, 01:13 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Since 3/4" holes are in probably more than 90% of existing benches, wouldn't it be difficult to accurately rebore a hole to a larger size?  I made by dog holes before I glued-up my top so that the holes could be drilled in my drill press, using a fence.  That is not going to happen again, and neither is a rebore of my 3/4" holes to a larger size.  Another good reason not to rebore....no place for the spur or lead screw to bite.

A bit of glue on a dowel that matches the diameter of the existing hole, pound it in and let the glue dry, drill away, and Bob's yer mother's brother.  I've never done it on a dog hole but I have enlarged holes in other situations using this method.
Tony