higher volume 4" junction box
I had my wiring laid out for a 3 way switch with some led lights.  I realized that the old work 4" are not big enough for all the wires I need to put in in addition to the lights.  The volume in the box taken up by the light is about the same as an outlet, maybe a little more.  I am pulling wire to a location where I can use a new work box for the all the wires to come together, but it's still really tight in the box.  The new work boxes come in 25 cu in vs 18 or so for the old work boxes.  I would really rather not have a dedicated j-box just for the wires.  Is there something I can do to get more volume in the box?
You can buy box extensions.

Not sure if the borg has them......might have to go to a supply house.

Ed
You can go to a bigger box or get an extension.  I use this Calculator to stay within box fill. http://www.constructionmonkey.com/calcul...al/boxfill
Stranded wire is also easier to put in the box also. They don't make it in Non-Metallic cable though. Dan
square boxes have higher volume, is it possible to go from square to round?

I was thinking about going with an extension, Fine Homebuilding was suggesting to make one out of another box.  Borgs have mud rings, but I haven't seen any extensions.

I calculate that I need 25 cu in, so the biggest size should work, but that's really tight
yes you can get a mud ring with a round face

[Image: f4440f85-8c23-41c6-bf02-673a51254a1d_400.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Thanks, Bob. I took fine homebuilding's advice and made my own extension ring. I think it's plenty big and made installing easier too. Now to pull all the wire to the other side of the room from where I pulled it the first time.  dagnabbit.
I do not put 4" boxes in when doing any new wiring. I use 4-11/16" boxes at least. May even go to a deep one.
John T.
(08-21-2016, 08:03 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: I do not put 4" boxes in when doing any new wiring. I use 4-11/16" boxes at least. May even go to a deep one.

Is this true even for a round ceiling j-box?  I have definitely come to realize I didn't take this issue seriously enough, probably getting rid of some of my boxes
I rewired my whole house there is nothing smaller than a 4 square any place.  I bought them by the case along with single and double mud rings.  I know it cost a bit more but made the install a lot easier
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(08-22-2016, 01:38 PM)EricU Wrote: Is this true even for a round ceiling j-box?  I have definitely come to realize I didn't take this issue seriously enough, probably getting rid of some of my boxes

I do not use round boxes. If it is a ceiling box with 2 cables, in and out, I use a 4" box with a round ring (if a round ring is needed. Most cases they are not). Buy a case of boxes for what you need. Whenever it is a junction box and used for just that purpose it will always be a 4-11/16" box and as said some times a deep one if i know there will be a few cables in it. So much easier to work in and always easier to add cables if needed. Adding rings now the wires maybe too short to work because of the added depth. Now this is home wiring. When on the job the use of octagon boxes are common.
John T.