Handles in Progress
Beautiful work Klaus - as always!

Guess I'm different, but it's the olive wood that gets me, just leaves me slack jawed and drooling.
Big Grin
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(08-23-2016, 05:35 PM)Tony Z Wrote:   Does the MOP serve any purpose, or is it the nib of backsaws?

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh  One can say that. At least it isn't less useful than the nib on a handsaw is
Big Grin
Wait! Wait! I thought you were supposed to line the MOP dot up with the nib to get a straight cut!
(08-24-2016, 08:47 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: Wait! Wait! I thought you were supposed to line the MOP dot up with the nib to get a straight cut!

Now, that is smart, just like notch and bead sighter
Big Grin  The old makers did obviously just one step and missed the 2nd, to add a notch
Laugh 

Klaus
Wow 
Cool, love it.

Steve
Got to hand it to you for working with wenge, especially for a saw handle. It really did come out pretty!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
As mentioned already, Wenge is a demanding wood for a sculpted thing like a saw handle. That's the way it turned out after being finished (poppy oil and pure carnauba wax).

[Image: P1040854.jpg]

[Image: P1040855.jpg]

[Image: P1040856.jpg]

As can be seen, the wood still shows some open grain but the part that will be touched by the hand is pretty closed. It feels smooth and comfortable.

Klaus
Hi Klaus, your handles are amazing, as usual! 
Yes

Have you ever tried shellac instead of oil?
Ciao e grazie, Leo.
Thanks mumu.

I tried shellac a few times and it works pretty good on closed grained woods. On open grained woods like Wenge I don't like it too much however. That's a matter of taste of course.

Klaus