Why is a Festool dust extractor magical?
I've had my Festool CT 22 since 1999. No regrets. I'd do it again if and when. These discussion always seem to be about the money more that the tool.

We have those who shop at Tiffany's and those who shop Harbor freight. Each to their own. It's your money to spend as YOU wish.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
(08-31-2016, 11:50 AM)ruffcutt Wrote: I've had my Festool CT 22 since 1999. No regrets. I'd do it again if and when.  These discussion always seem to be about the money more that the tool.

We have those who shop at  Tiffany's and those who shop Harbor freight.  Each to their own. It's your money to spend as YOU wish.

I really wish more of our members would learn this.
Semper fi,
Brad

The hose that comes with the Nilfisk vac has the tool adapter and it fits both the festool and bosch sanding ports. That was the reason for that picture.  You dont need another hose or adapter to make it work.  Regulation of the suction is via the little sliding port at the end, it works fine.  

I appreciate the quality of the Euro tools and was considering the Fein or the Bosch vac till I came across the Nilfisk.  Nilfisk has been around quite a while over there and from what I can tell is a good brand.  In this case, I got a machine with a stainless body and some good quality attachments including an aluminum wand for the price of the machine.  AFAIK, the Fein is coming with plastic accessories and the Festool is just the bare vac, no attachments except for the hose.  If you want it a bit cheaper, it comes with the plastic tub for 285 with free shipping at Sylvane: Aero 26 which is where I got mine.

[Image: nilfisk-alto-aero-26-21-vacuum-in-the-bo...=345&h=345]

As it is, lately my wife has been swiping it out of the garage to use in the house. We have one of the Miele vacs and it tends to pick up odors from the dogs and she likes the way this unit works on the bare floors and it doesnt smell.
When I'm using power tools instead of my handtools, and have lots of sanding to do or Domino's to cut, I love to be able to do it in my basement shop without worrying about the dust getting all over the place, or being tracked into other areas of the house. My Festool CT48 gets all of the dust and does it quietly. I had a nice Rigid unit and before that a ShopVac unit and neither could do as well, especially with the sanders.

Yeah, the price was more than I'd have preferred to spend, but once I spent it, I was glad I did. No complaints since the day it was delivered.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Some other considerations:

Warranty:  Festool = 3 years; Nilfisk = 2 years; Ridgid = Lifetime (with lots of caveats - doesn't cover things that wear out)
Air Filter Cost:  Festool HEPA = $72, Nilfisk HEPA = $125, Ridgid = $25-30
Bag Cost:  Festool = $30 for 5, Nilfisk = $30 for 4, Ridgid = $12 for 2 

Bags and filters can go a very long way if you use a cyclone type separator.  I use a Dust Deputy when I'm doing general cleanup.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
My $.02

Festool is a company that designs for contractors and the best responses I have seen as to the 'why' value of festool come from those who make their living from their tools.

Adjustable suck ensures efficient sanding so tool doesnt 'glue' to surface and dig in... Gouge that nearly complete project? Ouch.
Working IN a finished location and not a shop, festool collectors do a fantastic job of dealing with notoriously difficult to collect tools.
Works as a system, the entire product line is designed by very good engineers who ensure it all works together very, very well. Consider the slider plus one of the cts. For those who own the combo and use them on a job site, I dare say I have never seen a miter saw perform with so little dust in my 25yrs of woodworking (I get a cyclone wins, but can you carry it around to job sites along with enclosure?)

IMO much of the festool gear is luxury class for hobbyiest wwing, but it is dang nice stuff. Are the pro arguments valid for some hobby situations, you bet, whether they weigh in here though is case by case. Full disclosure, I have a fair bit of the black and green, like it very much, but the only pieces I could not live without are the sanders (carpal tunnel, its freaking hell if you havent experienced it and only the festool sanders dont aggravate after sanding for an hour.). I would really, really miss my domino though.

Best,
Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
In my experience, the only individuals that don't see the value in the Festool vacuums are the ones that either have never used one or only used one at a hobbyist level. I have a CT22 and a CT36 (in two buildings) and they've never let me down. They've been from New Jersey to Colorado on installations. Not only have they done a great job of keeping worksites clean, they've also kept my lungs clean and have been used as dollies for other tool boxes and cabinet components which definitely tested their plastic structures. As I recall, when used with the orbital sanders, Festool recommends running the vacuum at low speeds. I run them turned all the way down and the vacuums are not loud at that point. Even if I were to quit woodworking professionally at some point I would keep at least one of these vacuums because I just can't go back to the misery that is a "shop vac."
(09-02-2016, 10:38 PM)Sassafrasman Wrote: In my experience, the only individuals that don't see the value in the Festool vacuums are the ones that either have never used one or only used one at a hobbyist level. I have a CT22 and a CT36 (in two buildings) and they've never let me down. They've been from New Jersey to Colorado on installations. Not only have they done a great job of keeping worksites clean, they've also kept my lungs clean and have been used as dollies for other tool boxes and cabinet components which definitely tested their plastic structures. As I recall, when used with the orbital sanders, Festool recommends running the vacuum at low speeds. I run them turned all the way down and the vacuums are not loud at that point. Even if I were to quit woodworking professionally at some point I would keep at least one of these vacuums because I just can't go back to the misery that is a "shop vac."

"Works as a system, the entire product line is designed by very good engineers who ensure it all works together very, very well. Consider the slider plus one of the cts"

Not exactly true.  If you believe this then you've simply been swayed by their marketing.  I have most of the lineup and have been using their vac and tracksaw since they rolled in here in the late 90's when none of you had ever heard of Festo Tooltechnic.  So I know a little bit about the stuff.

Their engineers might be better than most but they still make mistakes and the "system' is flawed too.  EX: their new dust fitting which was touted as an improvement is a huge downgrade and is not very backwards compatible.   It easily falls out of the tracksaw fitting, is hard to attach to non cleantec fittings leaves lots of dust on the fitting groves so it falls all over your work or newly cleaned floor.  In addition the fitting actually LEAKS air when attached to the curved hand tubes.  Some improvement
Rolleyes

Then there's the fairly well publicized Kapex Motor Failures with Festool's denial , then saying they'd study the issue then no word on the findings for over two years.  Meaning their engineers are either idiots, or they've found something they don't want to cop to because the defect would mean a huge loss of $$$. Which isn't the engineers fault but is still telling.

Their very good engineers also can't seem to design a system of 12v battery powered tools that run on the same battery.  The drill battery won't work on the sander and there are no other tools in the range.  And while the the new T-loc "system" is compatible with the classic systainers it is such a poor fit that it begs the question did anyone even test the prototypes? 

Many people can see the value of some Festool products.  Doesn't mean they buy them though.  A lot of time it boils down to cost and what one's checkbook will bear.  Everyone doesn't have the means to live on the mountaintop or beachfront.  And even so, those aren't always the "best" areas anyway.
Awake zombie thread! Awake!
I use mine in my rentals.  The difference in noise, space and dust are worth it to me.  The tenants don't get cranky because of noise and dust and that is worth more than the difference in cost.  Comparing to Fein?  Never have but the regular shop vac not even close
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.