Seeking wisdom on Jennings auger bit remakes....

(08-27-2016, 08:53 PM)cputnam Wrote: When next they come up in S&S, look for stuff from Admiral (Rich), Enjuneer(Bob), Gregory of Sherwood Forest(Greg) and several others whom I forget at the moment. These guys know their vintage and accurately describe it for sale. Vintage Irwins come up quite often.

I finally got some time to reply to everyone in this thread. I appreciate that. I went through the posts in there and some really nice stuff has come up for grabs. Thanks for the tip!

(08-27-2016, 09:24 PM)kwadams Wrote: Chris,

Joel at TFWW is absolutely first class. As was stated, he gets it and stands behind what he sells. You can buy a whole vintage set (often in mostly new condition) for less than buying comparable bits individually. That said, no one ever uses these whole sets, so I would just buy one or two from Joel and see how you like them.

Have fun!

Kevin

That's a very good idea. I think based on advice from everyone I will probably try and pick up a full set of Irwins and Jennings. And then maybe get one of the new Jennings bits from TFWW and compare it to the vintage Jennings. I appreciate the feedback on TFWW, it's good to know they are a trusted dealer and really know their stuff.

I know, I saw. I told Admiral I was punching myself in the face for not checking a mere hour or two earlier
Smile

And everyone here has been incredible. Informative, helpful and as you said just a great group of folks! This place is a great resource!

Chris

(08-28-2016, 11:08 AM)cwarner Wrote: Agreed.  I find my Irwin's bite better than my Jennings which have the fine threads. The lead screws tend to clog up with wood and loses ability to pull the auger through.  I've tried sharpening the bits more, but still seem to have the same problem.

Well, I will say that I will certainly be putting any of the two bits to the test. I'm trying to snag a nice set of both. And I will post results on how they do in hardwood. If the Irwins do well in Walnut and Cherry that is encouraging. OO is twice as hard as Walnut so that should be quite the hardwood performance test
Smile

One last bit of info on the two brands, the *only* scientific-like test I could find between the two was here:
http://schoolofwood.com/node/74

It makes for an interesting read. He seems to show they both work great in various woods but the jennings just cuts a little faster.

Your mileage may vary.
Smile

P.S. Some of these replies may look really wrong. The post commands for reply/quote etc do not work like I expect them to, my apologies while I figure them out.
1. I never hesitate to buy from Tools for Working Wood (unless I'm broke, but that's my problem, not theirs).
2. Osage Orange will make a good mallet to start with. It's a hard wood, but it's not so dense very dense: you should be able to bore through it with a coarse-thread bit, but a fine thread will work easier. Now if you pick up some hickory, hard maple, or another really hard hardwood, the coarse-threaded bits will probably just laugh at you. But those woods make a really good joiner's mallet.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(08-29-2016, 04:23 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: 1. I never hesitate to buy from Tools for Working Wood (unless I'm broke, but that's my problem, not theirs).
2. Osage Orange will make a good mallet to start with. It's a hard wood, but it's not so dense very dense: you should be able to bore through it with a coarse-thread bit, but a fine thread will work easier. Now if you pick up some hickory, hard maple, or another really hard hardwood, the coarse-threaded bits will probably just laugh at you. But those woods make a really good joiner's mallet.

I'll probably be ordering some of the smaller items from him based on everyones opinion of him. Seems like a great guy that is very knowledgable.

My only wish is I could source some larger pieces of OO for my workbench top. I would love to use it for that.
Joel is a great Guy to deal with ( Tools for Working Wood ) as Rich ( Admiral ) who has a full set for sale in the S & S that are super crispy. Others are Steve F and Dave Parkis who I have bought from and very pleased with my purchase's. I buy 99% of my tools from the Good Folks here on Woodnet.

Steve
Chris,

If Richard's bits don't work out I have many good users as well.  Probably a couple complete sets too.  I know I have some Irwin's in the wooden box.  I'm in KC north near Liberty.  You're welcome to stop by sometime and we can piddle with some hand tools on the bench.  Bring that Yankee brace with you.  I've got a truck load of quality planes, chisels, and saws too.

The bits you posted look nice but vintage auger bits are plentiful and a bargain for the money minded woodworker.  Kind of like hand braces
Wink

(09-02-2016, 11:11 AM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: Chris,

If Richard's bits don't work out I have many good users as well.  Probably a couple complete sets too.  I know I have some Irwin's in the wooden box.  I'm in KC north near Liberty.  You're welcome to stop by sometime and we can piddle with some hand tools on the bench.  Bring that Yankee brace with you.  I've got a truck load of quality planes, chisels, and saws too.

The bits you posted look nice but vintage auger bits are plentiful and a bargain for the money minded woodworker.  Kind of like hand braces
Wink

Now that is a deal I will take you up on
Smile

My brace gets delivered Saturday. I am looking forward to it.

As nerdy as it may sound I may spend the day simply auger'ing holes in scrap wood. That is as sad as it sounds yes.
Smile
(09-02-2016, 01:00 PM)Chris Watson Wrote: Now that is a deal I will take you up on
Smile

My brace gets delivered Saturday. I am looking forward to it.

As nerdy as it may sound I may spend the day simply auger'ing holes in scrap wood. That is as sad as it sounds yes.
Smile
Kinda like planing wood... not making anything but wispy shavings... we understand completely...
Skip

Those bits look great but my goodness I cannot afford such luxurious items. I have always been able to find partial sets and odd bits and am currently putting a set together. In my younger days I did purchase a lovely set from Woodcraft or someone of Aussie Russel Jennings bits that I use only occasionally.
   If you can afford these ready to go bits that's great. Otherwise go the flea market route and make sure they are not bent, and find a set of augur bit stones that are great for final sharpening after filing with small files.
sorry about the UK link, surely folks are still selling these in the US.   http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworking...rton+87470

Osage orange, an oddity in the northeast, is one of my favorite woods. I have a farmyard log sawn up and waiting to be made into something nice.
I have made round and square headed mallets from Osage and never touched a drill. The round ones were turned on the lathe from ~4x4 stock while the square head was laminated around a hickory handle with a dove tail shaped through tenon. Both get used all the time.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure