Paging TDKPE
I sent you a PM, but I don't know if you got it or not.
Anyway, here goes. It might help someone else too.

I bought this grinder from HF. It has what they call a condenser in it for the motor to start. It's basically a plastic cube with wire hanging out of it. No markings on it at all.
I'd like to change it to a proper start capacitor. Do you know what voltage & size capacitor I'd need to do this?
There is no motor plate anywhere on this grinder.
Thanks for any help you might have.

HF Grinder
No little red blinking envelope to catch my eye.  I miss that from the old forum.  
Mad

Those grinders typically use shaded-pole or permanent split-capacitor motors with no separate start winding and centrifugal switch.  Of course, I have no idea what motor that one has.  Is it not working?  Or just starting slow?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
No, it runs well. But those little "condensers" usually burn up after awhile.
It does take awhile to get up to speed though.
The motor is listed as an induction motor & nothing more.
It's supposed to be a 3/4 hp motor.

I will check it out closer later tonite & get back to you.
Maybe I will post some pics & that might help you also.
Thanks for replying.
Herb G.
Condenser is an arcane term for capacitor. Which means you can measure the capacitance, and if you measure across the leads and from a lead to ground, the voltage. Get one with the same capacitance and minimum voltage. If you want a spare. Best to do it before it fries, of course.

And all the types of AC motors that don't have brushes are induction motors, since a current is induced in the rotor, which has no electrical connection to the stator or mains voltage. So even a shaded-pole motor, like in some (smaller, usually) grinders, bathroom exhaust fans, table fans, and so on, are induction motors. I'm guessing that one is a permanent split-capacitor motor with no centrifugal start switch or potential relay to disconnect the capacitor.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"