replace vinyl siding corner
My parents sent me this picture and told me that for some reason they have a spare corner piece. They have no idea how to fix it themselves, but supposedly a local handyman quoted them some obscene $2k+ figure. I gotta imagine it would just sorta snap off and the new one on? Or is there some hidden complexity to replacing this?  I've never done vinyl siding. 
Edit: this is just a one-story high corner.

[Image: ezHpWMp.jpg]
You've got to take off the siding to replace it.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

It's what Cletus said, the corner is the first thing to go on so the siding would have to be removed....that probably doesn't justify the $2000 quote, though. If'n that were mine, and that damage not all that visible I'd half-butt it. Cut a small piece of the replacement and use PVC glue (plumbing stuff) to just glue a patch over it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Also, I don't know where you are at, but the "handymen" around here are swamped. I've been doing some odd jobs on some friends rentals because their normal handymen can't get to it. It may be a case of "If I'm going to do it, I'm going to get paid well."
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(08-30-2016, 02:43 PM)CLETUS Wrote: Also, I don't know where you are at, but the "handymen" around here are swamped. I've been doing some odd jobs on some friends rentals because their normal handymen can't get to it. It may be a case of "If I'm going to do it, I'm going to get paid well."

Good point. I mentioned that to them too,"these guys have to make a living.."
If it were me I would cut the nail flange off of the spare piece and double side tape (auto body tape or 3M VHB tape) the piece directly over the broken piece.
(08-30-2016, 02:52 PM)carwashguy Wrote: If it were me I would cut the nail flange off of the spare piece and double side tape (auto body tape or 3M VHB tape) the piece directly over the broken piece.

That sounds like a good idea! you would never even see unless looking very closely
What they said on the repair but I'd go a step further and put something  over it to protect it from the weedeater in the future. Or you will be doing the repair again...
I would do like carwashguy said but with a piece 6-8" long.   otherwise you have to unhook the siding pieces and pull a few nails on both sides of the corner to replace it.    Roly
 Here is another option that looks like it will work.      LINK
The way vinyl siding corners work is that - starting from sheathing - the corners are nailed on first, then the overlapping rows of siding are nailed on from the bottom up with each end of a row sitting in the channel of the vinyl corner.

The "good way" to do this, I think, is to unhook the bottom two or three rows from each other, pull the nails holding the siding near the corner, pull them out of the corner (easier in hot weather) then use a straight edge and utility knife to cut off a section of the corner including the broken area.  Install a section of replacement corner, over-lapping the old by a couple inches (remember water runs downhill).

Probably take an hour.

When reinstalling remember that the nail heads need to be set loosely to allow the vinyl to expand and contract.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.