replace vinyl siding corner
Having done repairs like that(removing vinyl siding from an entire side of a house), in this case, I'd cut a repair piece off the extra about 12" long.

There is a tool(HD carries them) that unlocks vinyl siding without removing it. Use that tool to unlock the ends of the bottom two rows, so the ends can be pulled away far enough to cut off 8" of the damage.

Trim the 12" repair piece to slide under the end of the corner, nail in place, and relock(the tool can relock as well) the two rows in place. Might caulk the joint, but with 4" under the old and at least four nails holding the new, probably not necessary.
If the existing siding is nailed right at the ends, the above repair may be difficult. If you have to pry nails out, you won't get them back in without damaging the siding. If you can't do it the way Mac suggested, you can carefully cut the bad piece out. Only cut off as much as you need to, no more. It will take some finagling and old vinyl is brittle so be very careful. Cut a replacement piece about an inch longer than the cut off piece. Tuck the new piece up under (not over) the existing and get the nailing flange behind the siding. It will be a little frustrating but it can be done. There's a good chance you'll have to cut the flange back to about the nail holes. Then pop-rivet or use a couple stainless screws and screw it to the existing siding where they overlap. It's not real durable but it will stay until it gets hit with the mower again. Might want to protect it with a bush or something.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(08-30-2016, 02:52 PM)carwashguy Wrote: If it were me I would cut the nail flange off of the spare piece and double side tape (auto body tape or 3M VHB tape) the piece directly over the broken piece.

me,too, but id tuck the patch piece in behind. less noticable that way.
(08-31-2016, 01:56 PM)tomsteve Wrote: me,too, but id tuck the patch piece in behind. less noticable that way.

And it won't leak.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Older sideing can crack when you try to get back into it. That said, probably a 3 hour job for a siding guy. Release what siding you can, remove what you can, un nail the corner and put it back together.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
(08-30-2016, 02:40 PM)fredhargis Wrote: It's what Cletus said, the corner is the first thing to go on so the siding would have to be removed....that probably doesn't justify the $2000 quote, though. If'n that were mine, and that damage not all that visible I'd half-butt it. Cut a small piece of the replacement and use PVC glue (plumbing stuff) to just glue a patch over it.

I've watched experienced vinyl guys and no way would they remove all the siding. They'd monkey the old one off (probably cutting it down the middle first), and lift a few pieces of siding on each side so they can nail a new one on. I'd be willing to bet an experienced vinyl guy could do it in two hours with time to drink a cold one or two in there.

This isn't a handyman job, it is an installers job. Find a vinyl guy.