Steel Quick Release Vises
I need to replace my front vise and plan to do that with a steel QR vise.  But, my front vise gets very hard use because I use it for non-woodworking stuff as well.  The one I am replacing is the large blue one from LV made in the Czech Republic - looks like the old record ones.  I didn't like the QR mechanism, but otherwise it did fairly well.

The issue is that I have started to look at another style of steel QR vise - the ones that look like the one that Jorgensen used to make.  The rear jaws look the same as the Record-type, but the front vise is rectangular.  Yost and Wilton are the ones I see the most and they seem to refer to these as "heavy duty" vises.

My question is whether there's an appreciable difference between the two styles.  Is one more "heavy duty" than the other?

Thanks.

Steve
Steve are you committed to buying new? A lot of good vintage ones out there. I have a 10" craftsman that I bought a while ago and now that I'm downsizing I'm not going to use. It's the style where you reverse the screw and once pressure is off the half nut opens up. 
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
I enjoy using the Jorgensen 10" front vise.  I've had it about 18 months.  No problems.

Regardless of the mechanism, you will get used to it and it will be second nature, in my opinion.
Not that it helps all that much, but I have a 7" Wilton and a 7" Rockler, both purchased new and neither has been used yet. It is my impression that the Wilton is by far the heavier duty of the two.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Not for nothing, but why quick release?  I've had both, and never saw the benefit of QR that a couple of turns of the handle couldn't rectify.  More to go wrong as well.

I pass on vintage vices with regularity, principally because they are a PITA to ship, but as already noted some of the C-man vices are worthy, Whilton, Columbian, of course Record; name doesn't matter so much as does the quality and stoutness of construction, which is apparent when you fondle them. 

The CRAFTS of NJ "picnic" is set for September 11 in Tewksbury; might be worth it to drive down, I'm sure there will be a number of vices there for sale at the tailgating which starts at 8am.  As they say, they don't make 'em like they used to!  Link

CRAFTS Picnic
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks Jim.  I'm never committed to buying new.  Thanks for the offer, but I'm leaning toward a Yost I think.

Steve

(09-01-2016, 10:22 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: I enjoy using the Jorgensen 10" front vise.  I've had it about 18 months.  No problems.

Regardless of the mechanism, you will get used to it and it will be second nature, in my opinion.
Thanks.  Shame they're out of business.  The Jorgensen always looked really well made.  Not many vises made in USA anymore.

Steve

(09-01-2016, 12:43 PM)cputnam Wrote: Not that it helps all that much, but I have a 7" Wilton and a 7" Rockler, both purchased new and neither has been used yet.  It is my impression that the Wilton is by far the heavier duty of the two.
Thanks Curt.  I was leaning toward the Wilton because of the articulating jaw, but that was before I found out they were not made here.  Wilton does made some of their vises in the US, but not this one.  So, now I'm leaning toward the Yost.  I know stuff made overseas can be decent, but the cost different is nominal and I really do abuse my vises.  I have a 7" Jorgensen and a 7" Record.  Both feel very sturdy, which is why I wondered why some of the vise companies made both styles.  And, they tend to refer to the one with the more rectangular front jaw as "heavy duty."

Steve

(09-01-2016, 02:11 PM)Admiral Wrote: Not for nothing, but why quick release?  I've had both, and never saw the benefit of QR that a couple of turns of the handle couldn't rectify.  More to go wrong as well.

I pass on vintage vices with regularity, principally because they are a PITA to ship, but as already noted some of the C-man vices are worthy, Whilton, Columbian, of course Record; name doesn't matter so much as does the quality and stoutness of construction, which is apparent when you fondle them. 

The CRAFTS of NJ "picnic" is set for September 11 in Tewksbury; might be worth it to drive down, I'm sure there will be a number of vices there for sale at the tailgating which starts at 8am.  As they say, they don't make 'em like they used to!  Link

CRAFTS Picnic
Quick release because I'm always in a hurry. I have a non-QR front vise now and don't like it.  I agree about there being more to go wrong and the QR mechanism on my Czech-made one was always creating problems.  But, I for the last couple of years I have had a QR end vise and a non-QR front vise.  I'm guessing that the QR one got 90% of the use, even though it was on the end.  Just an indication of how much I prefer the QR feature.

I almost forgot about the CRAFT picnic coming up - thanks for the reminder.  I got my 7" Jorgensen there a couple of years ago.  Missed last year, but will definitely try to make it this year.

I understand about the shipping cost.  Even LV now charges extra to ship the steel vises.

Steve
I have the steel QR from Lee Valley (at least a half dozen years, if not more) and I'm as pleased today as the day I installed it. It gets the most use of the various vises I have, including a Record. After getter used to it, I like the LV QR better.

What are the issues you guys are experiencing?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-02-2016, 01:00 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I have the steel QR from Lee Valley (at least a half dozen years, if not more) and I'm as pleased today as the day I installed it.  It gets the most use of the various vises I have, including a Record.  After getter used to it, I like the LV QR better.

What are the issues you guys are experiencing?
Tony,

I'm thrilled that your experience has been positive.  I'll can only speak to my experience.  I had problems with the QR mechanism on the Czech made one.  In fairness, it was my very first vise and I have definitely abused it over the years, using it for lots more than just woodworking.  I think I was so excited with the holding power that I used it for everything - even when there may have been more appropriate work holding options.  For example, when I re-did a shower in our house, I got adhesive all over the screw and had to scrape it off.  The screw and rods have rusted, although it cleans off pretty easily.  Even for woodworking, I have used it to hold logs between the jaws while making hand hewn bowls and have using a drawknife, as well as gouges and mallet while the bowl was supported by the vise.

At any rate, I found that the QR mechanism never really worked consistently.  Sometime a single turn would make the thing release perfectly.  Sometime it took 2 or 3 turns.  Sometimes turning the handle wasn't enough and I had to jiggle to front jaw.  Now, if I have something clamped, it won't release at all unless I yank on the front jaw (hard) to make it release.

I also had a problem with the metal piece that sits at the ends of the rods and screw.  It's held on with a C-clip.  Mine fell off and wouldn't go back on.  It looked like the steel plate was bent.  LV was very helpful and I was able to get it back on, but something seemed off.  I always wondered if I had somehow thrown the alignment off, which is why the QR mechanism stopped working properly.

I just received a Yost 10" vise and it is massive.  It has the same type of QR mechanism as the LV one, but I'm hoping that it will work smoother.  Somehow I feel that if I had used my vise for woodworking only, I wouldn't have had the problems I did.  Live and learn.  

Steve
Highly recommended & American made

TFWW
I've got the green qr vise from lv......good unit. Got fired of the qr in short order and disabled it, just a plywood shim, can go back to qr in a minute.

Ed