Steel Quick Release Vises
(09-02-2016, 11:21 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: Highly recommended & American made

TFWW

Thanks Joe.  I just wanted to point out that I think this may be the only American made vise out there.  I thought that the Yosts were made here, but turn out that (like Wilton) only some of the vises are make in the USA.  The Yost woodworking vises appear to be made overseas.

Still on the fence about this, but my bench re-make has taken on a life of its own, so I have a little time.  Guess I get to check out the Crafts NJ picnic tailgate this weekend.

I was just going to replace the top, but when I took the old one off, the base looked shabby and small. So, I decided to remake the legs, and maybe the stretchers too.  Guess I should have taken pictures as I was going along.  Sorry about that.

Off to look for some wood for the legs this week.

Thanks for all the advice.

Steve

(09-03-2016, 10:42 PM)EdL Wrote: I've got the green qr vise from lv......good unit. Got fired of the qr in short order and disabled it, just a plywood shim, can go back to qr in a minute.

Ed

I have one of the green ones from LV - without the quick release and didn't like it.  It could have been my installation, but the think never quite clamped as well as I wanted.  Wondering why you disabled the quick release.  I have always liked quick release vises.  If the non-quick release spun like the Benchcrafted ones, I wouldn't care.  But I haven't seen any of the other vises do that.  I use the vise for carving odd shaped stuff (like bowls), and rotating the blank from working on the wider side to working on the narrow side is a pain without the quick release.

Thanks,

Steve