Installing a Skylight Looking for Tips
I am updating my garage with new walls and insulation.  A friend of mine saw what I was up to and gave me some used skylights.   Any of you guys have experience in installing these and tips would be appreciated.   Also wondering if I can go to home depot and buy the right type of flashing?   First time posting with this new setup so I hope this works.   thanks!

[Image: skylight_zpsdszleksi.jpg]
My advice is not to install them.
I have yet to see one that didn't develop leaks eventually
no matter what flashing was used.
(09-02-2016, 07:57 AM)deeno Wrote:  gave me some used skylights.  

There are 2 kinds of skylights.... those that leak and those that will leak.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Frankly, from the look of skylights they don't inspire much confidence. I'd pass.
(09-02-2016, 09:37 AM)CLETUS Wrote: There are 2 kinds of skylights.... those that leak and those that will leak.

When I was taking my Home inspector's course, those were the exact words used by the instructor. We were told to tell the customer to Monitor them whether we saw any problems or not.

The exception was if the skylights were of high quality (Velux for example) and installed on a build-up curb per mfg specs by a guy who really understood how to flash and roof a high end skylight.

But even those can loose their seal around the glass eventually. Another issue they had was because of the temperature differential at the install point, they inherently produce condensation which can cause other issues also.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

New skylights from velux or = with their own curb and flashing kit are tricky enough for roofers. Old skylights mean you need to build the curb and flash it. Do you have a brake? You'll need step and skirt flashings. The frame and panel should have accommodation for condensate. I'm sure the gaskets are shot. They couldn't pay me to take them
We have 3 Velux skylights upstairs, waste of money as far as I'm concerned. I'd skip them.
i am thoroughly convinced that a roof should have no more holes put through it than necessary.

do you have cathedral/vaulted ceilings in your garage?
if not, youre gonna have to experience the fun of framing,insulating, anddrywalling skylight openings from roof line to ceiling.
A friend of mine just got rid of his. Even after having the roof redone and new flashing it still leaked. Best tip is to not install them, must have been a reason the other person got rid of them. Personally wouldn't install one in an outhouse. Haven't seen one yet that didn't leak.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Most contractors in our area will guarantee 2 things; concrete cracks and skylights leak.