Remembering tool alternatives
I'm installing trim on our auld haus remodel of the moment, and found myself having to back some of the trim - hollow it out behind, in the middle - to accommodate irregularities in the sheetrock finish.  This was a fairly common practice when trim was 6-8" wide.  The edges, after all, are the only "show" points on the trim (ends of head casings count as edges here).

I used a routah on one door's trim, but I hate the noise and dust.  I then tried the scrub plane, which worked, but was a touch slow.  Then I thought to get out a gouge*.  Wow!  Five minutes later, I had what I needed!

I need to remind myself that planes are not always the best solution to a problem.

*Carving gouge, because that's what was sharp.  I really need to set aside a day for a sharpening fest, and get the several carpenter's gouges in my toolkit sharp.
"Carpenter's gouge" is an in-cannel?  Sure does move wood fast, but you have to be more careful than with a carving gouge to make sure the grain is diving!
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I do have one in-cannel carpenter's gouge, but, no, carpenter's gouges are of somewhat heavier construction overall than carving, suitable for whacking great chunks from construction lumber.

Over the years, I've stumbled across several of them; they're not common in the wild around here. All but the one are out-cannel.
My 1"+ carving gouges (Austrian) are >1/8 thick, but they are only about 7" of metal ahead of the bolster.  They move wood fast, especially when it's green, which is what I use them for.  Suppose longer would want a bit thicker on broad sweep to protect us from ourselves trying to pry.   In-cannels, by the nature of a wedge, just keep diving if you aren't careful.