PS Clock - Another Hand Tools Project
Another all hand tool project, this one also most of you will recognize from PS video’s.  

First step was to make the stopped dado’s for the frame of the clock.  This was fairly strait forward.  I like paul’s method of using the knife wall to start one side of the dado and get it chopped out with the chisel.  Then after one wall is defined, place the actual board in the recess, and use the knife to mark the other wall.  Square with the combo square and chop the other side.  Clean up with a route plane.  Boom, the dado’s are done.

[Image: IMG]

The next picture is after the grooves are cut into the side panels with the plough plane, and the tenon’s are cut in the cross pieces.  

Also, Paul teaches a simple way to scratch in the beadings on the frame.  Use a block of wood and screw in a slot head screw.  Screw the screw all the way in flush with the block.  Use a file to run across the head of the screw to develop a “Sharp” edge.  Unscrew the screw to the desired depth you want your bead.  Run the screw head along the wood using the slot in the screw as the cutter, and scratch in the bead.  Works absolutely perfect.

Next step was to raise the panel with the smoothing plane.  The trick here is to work carefully to your layout lines.  Bevel the backside to compensate and fit the grooves.

Then it’s time to cut a hole for the clock face.  Just get after it, don’t be scared.

The finished product (This pic is before I applied shellac/wax) is just really nice looking.  A simple, fun, and skill building little project all with hand tools.

This clock was made from Alder.  Which if you’ve never tried it, is a fantastic wood to work with hand tools. A lot like cherry, but a bit softer.
Nice project!
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Yes, very nice indeed!
Chris
That's really pretty. Nice job all around!

Glad to hear the homemade scratch stock worked out for you. I have used it before as a makeshift marking gauge, and it does work pretty well.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop