I have a ton of QS beech for plane blanks
Hey guys, I just hit the mother load of QS beech. It isn’t a lumber I really use so I am thinking about processing it all into plane blanks and saw handles. My question to you guys is what would be the most common blank sizes that would be needed? Hopefully I can get some of this stuff milled and cut into blanks in the next few weeks and offer it down in the S&S.
I would say that 8/4 in 4" widths and 24" lengths would allow at least 2 and up to 4 molding planes. I think finished sizes are around 10" long and 3.5" tall.  I just cut up some QS beech and that's what I did.

12/4 stock in 24"-30" lengths would probably be good for smoothers to jointers.
How thick is it now? How much of it do you have? Looking for saw handle material as well as mallet heads ( infused ). Cost? Also looking for 4x4s { actually 3.25" x 3.25" } in highly figured maple. 12", 24", or 36" lengths. Very hard to come by in this neck of the woods.
BontzSawWorks.net
All the bench plane stock I have ever bought is 16/4, that is the standard. It needs to be quartersawn as closely as possible. 12/4 won't allow you any slack at all for clean up or surface checking, and there will be surface checking. Anyway, 12/4 even if it's perfect isn't thick enough for a big plane.

Drying the thick stuff is pretty brutal, and if you haven't done it before there may be considerable loss. The 8/4 is easier.
voigtplanes.com
blackdogswoodshop.blogspot.com
I would be interested in 5/4 thickness for saw handles. I don't need a lot of it, but good beech is hard to get locally in Michigan.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Right now I have about 500 BF of mixed thicknesses between 5/4 and 12/4. In addition to that there are 6 logs that are about 36" in diameter. The sawyer is waited to hear how to saw them. I just want to get them sawn before they start to develope any stain. He has been treating the beech as trash wood for a long time until I saw what he had. Perfect straight clear large diameter beech logs are a treasure to most wooden tool makers. I'm thinking about a beech workbench.
Dave,
I just sent you a PM about this beech wood.
Please have a look and get back to me.
Thanks,
Ken