Festool Rotex sanders?
Lately I have been reading up on Festool's line of Rotex sanders. I've read many positive reviews and watched several you tube videos. Before I decide to buy an expensive tool I always check Woodnet. My decision to purchase most often is determined by what the folks at Woodnet who have used the tools have to say. So, what say you about Festool's Rotex sanders?
I own a Rotex RO150 and a Rotex RO90 and love both of them. They are my go too sanders for the first few grits and they work fast.

I also have a Festool Vacuum and that helps. At a minimum you need a vacuum with adjustable suction or you need to manually setup a way to limit the suction or you will pull the sander down to the surface.
Love my ro150......it was my first Festool purchase (along with a ct22) back in '04.

The rotex mode doesn't get used often, when you need to do serious stock removal it's hard to beat.

Ed
+1.   My RO150 is my go to sander.  Can also be used as a car polisher. You won't regret it.  Must have a dust collector to get the full benefit tho.  It can be very aggressive in Rotex mode and it will kick up a mountain of dust.
Howard
The Dallas woodworker

"I didn't attend the funeral but I did send a letter approving of it"
Mark Twain
I also have the RO150 and the 90. I'm very happy with them. In conjunction with the CT48, I can sand without leaving a fine dusting all over. Almost perfection in the collection.

As far as the sanding performance, I got the 3mm pattern RO150, and I don't see swirls at all. I can also sand for what seems like forever without getting arm weary. The sander is easy to control and very low vibration.

I'm happy with the purchases.

****edit to add - It is actually the ETS 150/3 that I have that is my favorite, not the RO 150. I also have the RO90, but haven't used it as much.*****
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
If you have a WoodCraft or Rockler you can get to, go and try one. My finding is they are rude to my arm, the vibration causes my fingers to go numb within moments of turning it on. I have an older Rigid 2 mode sander that was made by Metabo, and it doesn't do that, nor did a Bosch 1250DEVS that I had for several years
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I bought the Rotax many years ago and sent it back. It was just too much sander for me. It's very aggressive when it's in the direct drive mode. Definitely a two-handed sander. All my lumbar comes out of a helical head planer so I don't need that aggressiveness. I'm looking at getting the fest tool 150 brushless model for more finish sanding. All depends on what you want to do.
I looked at the Rotex and then decided on the ETS150/3. I love it, it is as aggressive a sander as I need. Make sure you pair it with a dust extractor.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
I've also got one of the Bosch 1250's and its a good alternative to the rotax as a HD fast working sander for cheaper money though its not cheap.  Dust collection is good with a vac attached.  It's not my go to sander unless I need to do a lot of stock removal since its on the heavier side, but it has its place.
I have a rotex but frankly I prefer the regular 150 sanders. I just don't need the aggressiveness enough to offset the added weight. That said, I just had to refinish a tabletop back to bare wood and it was great, probably took me less than 5 minutes and good surface; a belt sander could've done it just as quickly but not left nearly as even a surface.

One other thing I'll mention is if you're not thinking of stepping up to the 150mm (6") models then give it some thought. I decided to stay with 5" since that was what I was used to with my old PC sanders. I've since replaced them all with 6" models. They're so much faster! I should've listened when they told me and saved myself the money of switching later.
-Marc