New parrot (vise) perched in the shop
Since my vice is vises, I was naturally attracted to this little gizmo. It is a parrot or swivel vise which is mounted on a post horizontally or vertically. It has some pretty swift features--one is the swivel. The whole vise swivels on the mount as long as the jaws are open but the swivel locks when the vise is tightened. Cool! There is a piece on the static jaw that rides on the bottom of the dynamic. The dynamic bottom is slanted so it locks the vise on the post as the jaws close. It even works with additional jaws attached to the faces. I added a base and a new set of hickory jaws. Now I am ready for a clamping adventure. Anyone else have one of these?

[Image: DSCN0570.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0571.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0572.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0573.jpg]
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I always thought one of those would be handy on my gun bench.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

I wish they'd make the jaws longer on these knockoffs; the original Gyro vice has much taller jaws, half again of this model, which is what would attract me to this.  Blacky's Boy should step in and comment as I know he has one, or two!  I guess the casting to make the jaws stout must be expensive so they shortened them.

[Image: versavise02.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I've got one of the knockoffs from Garrett Wade. First one was trash. Returned and got one somewhat better. I built a swivel holder for it. Trying to find the darn pics....
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I could sure use one of those originals, Admiral.
BontzSawWorks.net
JimReed: where did you find that vise? I always thought that one should be in my shop and your thread rekindled my interest for one.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Parrot-...aign=zPage
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Not my idea but I put this together this past spring. I think Timberwolf has one set up like this and someone else that I can't remember.

[Image: image_zpsb71txr3z.jpeg]

Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Built my own swivel mount. Bought the vise from Garrett Wade.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Admiral: thanks for the information.