Two rejects to make one mallet part 2
The measurements were not very accurate but close enough.
[Image: IMG_3230_zpsm4euybap.jpg][/img]
A 1/4" hole was bored into the head to match the handle followed by two counter bores for the tenon and bolt head.
[Image: IMG_3226_zps9lqjoykp.jpg][/img]
[Image: IMG_3231_zps7ntin2lx.jpg][/img]
A little bit of 2 part epoxy and........
[Image: IMG_3232_zpsywyaqmdr.jpg][/img]
So after a while it was back to the lathe for some clean up. and the result....
[Image: IMG_3234_zpsoc3dlga6.jpg][/img]
A bolt with a medallion head will pass through the mallet to make sure it never comes apart on me.
[Image: IMG_3235_zpsrdjtip0y.jpg][/img][Image: IMG_3236_zps7npmllqc.jpg][/img]
And there you have it. tomorrow is another day. Better I hope.
Smile
[Image: IMG_3240_zpsalayg9uc.jpg][/img]
BontzSawWorks.net
That is one sweet job!

Big Grin
Couldn't have been planned that nicely... well done!
Chris
That mallet is almost to pretty to use - very nice work.  And that thru-bolt will make it nearly indestructible.  

I've often thought about adding a brass collar/ring to a mallet, but so far all of mine have been one piece rather than two, so I haven't had the opportunity.  Any reason the collar is inset rather than proud of the wood?
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Sweet!!
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Leave it to a saw maker to make such an ornate handle!  With a drawing to boot!  I would only change one thing.  I think I'd finish the handle with a satin finish.  A lot of handling will likely dull the finish.  May it provide you years of pleasure in use.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The brass ring ferrule came from an existing ferrule, and I don't have any stock greater than 3/4" dia in the shop right at the moment. Besides,  I have several hundred of those sitting in boxes  in my shop. They were made to fit a 3/4" x 3/4" tenon. The handle dim. were pretty much set as well. Just turned off some of the smaller dia. to blend  better with the ring. I did color out side the lines again and added a few extra touches. A quick little problem solving distraction to give me a fresh look at a different problem.
Smile Woodworking or the crafts in general, are always a lesson in problem solving using what you have at hand. BTW, I actually just weighed it. 16.4 0unces without the connecting rod. Looks like I got lucky. Shooting for 18 ounces. The finish is so shiny because it is wet. It will dry to a semi gloss.
BontzSawWorks.net
Pretty cool!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
That is a wonderful saving!
That's what I call a real "whack job"! What a beautiful mallet!!! I imagine that every time you pick it up you will be reminded of its past and smile. Great work. Thanks for the pictures. I love the "how I shot the bear" progress shots.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com