The Mother of All Honing Guides
Although it might not be clear in the pic, there is clearance between the RI handle and the reference plate, the reference being the back of
the chisel, which is the 1/4" size.

Who is to say what is necessary: from a hobbyist point of view, its another way to get a perfect edge: I'm in.

The clean bench:  I am part scandinavian: its in my DNA.
Just sent Boatman53 a PM to add me to his list. Looks like he tried to think of every eventuality. Ingenious!!!
Working up from the bottom....
Ranger I sent you a PM in return.
Phillip thank you for the review and compliments. And here I thought I stopped at your house to save money on shipping the Mother of All combination squares, and just happened to share the jig. Thanks again for the beer.
AHill thanks for your reply to Rwe2156 well said.
Rwe2156 yes it is totally unnecessary, if you are fortunate to have the skills. I sharpened free hand more often than not and although the blade would shave hair the geometry was wrong and it would be hit and miss on the performance of the tool. A friend of mine (a professional boatbuilder) 'was' a free hand sharpener and he handed me a chisel when I showed him the jig. The bevel was almost 45°. You are lucky to have those skills.
Jgorlay, now the challenge is to find an American that can make it at a price point that people will buy it.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.