Have no idea what has invaded my yard
I have no idea what has invaded my yard but it has big time. We are having a very dry summer here in NJ and lack of rain has just about killed most of my backyard lawn or at least it went dormant. Has done this before and comes back. But this past week I noticed many many holes dug in the ground. Some are bigger than others All dug on a slight angle and go down about 6 to 8" Some not so deep. There is no pattern but you will see a group in one area and then another group in another area and then some individual ones. Never had this before in the 32 years in the house. 

My question is what is it and how the heck do I get rid of it before my entire lawn is a mine field. I thought about moles but never seen them do this. I looked for signs of grubs because I think that is what moles look for but all test hols showed no signs of grubs and I tested pulling up the lawn by hand and that is not happeneing so I do not think it is grubs involved. 

Any suggestions and how do I get rid of this. I went outside at night a few times the past couple days to see if I could see something but see nothing. It is getting frustrating. Help SOS!!!!
John T.
Wasps? I have them around my place every few years. Holes all over the place, but they are seldom seen.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
These holes are about 3" to 4" in diameter. They go down on an angle so I am guessing it is a digging thing with paws.
John T.
Skunks?

skunks digging up yard
Momma skunk showing the young of the year where to find bugs, grubs, etc.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
You know a few days ago I did smell skunk at night. The smell was so bad I had to get up and close the windows. It was one of those nights that was nice sleeping weather with the windows open. Big change from running the air conditioner almost every day this summer. Will they come back and what do I do to get rid of it. Now I do not know when the holes appeared. I just noticed them 2 days ago. Have been going out at night at different times to see but no activity. I even put my motion light on the back porch. It is airrating the lawn for sure.

(09-14-2016, 12:30 AM)Lynden Wrote: Skunks?

skunks digging up yard

third row down last photo to the right looks exactly like my yard. Oh boy now what.
John T.
Light is considered a good repellent for skunks. I'd try lighting the area first and see if it helps. I have to admit, easlier this year I had a real problem with 'coons....but skunks are far worse.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
You might want to treat for grubs. Skunks don't need them, but they certainly do appreciate them! Moles are perfectly content to eat earthworms so it is a wives tale that moles = grubs.

For the skunks, you could try a live trap. Somebody told me if you hold a blanket or tarp and walk slowly towards the trap you can drop that over the trap and they won't spray. Let me know if that works out for you...I never tried. I had traps out to get rid of other varmits and it occurred to me one day "oh crud...what if I get a skunk?"..so I asked the game protector and that is what he told me.

In Ohio you are not allowed to re-release trapped nuisance animals...check local regs. So you may need to find another way to part ways with it if you do trap it.

Having said all of that, I'd be trying some commercial repellants ASAP.
(09-14-2016, 06:54 AM)JosephP Wrote: For the skunks, you could try a live trap.  Somebody told me if you hold a blanket or tarp and walk slowly towards the trap you can drop that over the trap and they won't spray.  Let me know if that works out for you...I never tried.

Please video that if you choose to do it!
Laugh
Laugh
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Live trap + .22cal = No More Skunks