Have no idea what has invaded my yard
Sounds like skunks to me as well. Sometimes they are very bad here and I see holes like you are talking about left by them. Usually stops within a day or two here. 

However I have a huge problem with pocket gophers. They dig tunnels make volcanoes everywhere and eat the roots to my bushes etc. They are quite hard to get rid of. Course one of the cats caught one once.
(09-14-2016, 08:09 AM)vernonator Wrote: Live trap + .22cal = No More Skunks

Lead poisoning?????? I would be locked up in a heart beat here in NJ.
John T.
I got one of these motion activated lights recently when it was on sale, because the one dark corner by my driveway happens to be where my garbage cans are. Not super bright, especially compared to say a flood light, but it sure does the trick to keep me from tripping, added bonus is I'm hoping it will scare off a raccoon or whatever else might be lurking. It's battery operated, you could attach it to a wooden steak anywhere in the yard/. My parents use something similar to keep deer out of their gardens in Vermont.
Benny

(09-14-2016, 12:30 AM)Lynden Wrote: Skunks?

skunks digging up yard

+1

Skunks eating wasp nests and grubs.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

don't skunks hate the smell of moth balls?  pretty ironic that a bad smell would deter them, no?
Definitely sounds like skunks.   A .22 using subsonic rounds is just as effective and much quieter than a regular .22.

My past experience in catching a baby skunk (and yes, they can spray too) is that having caught one in my small trap (usually used for chipmunks; or as i call them "fancy dressed rats")....   anyway, back to the story...   my youngest and i went out the one day and this skunk was in the trap, so i very carefully slipped an empty bird seed bag over the trap and we used poles to open the door and prop it open...  and the skunk didn't want to leave...   It never did spray (i've also heard they don't like to spray in a closed in area)...   so we just left it open and that evening  it left.

If you have grubs (sounds like it), a treatment on the lawn is in order.   They are most likely from something like japanese beetles and not cicadas.   the skunks seem to love them for a change of pace.  
Confused
BTDT skunks because we had grubs... Had to re seed that area
Well this is a weekend project. Will put down some grub X to kill grubs. Have not seen any newer holes so hopefully he did not find much and moved on. He should go next door to me. The guy has a lushes green lawn. I am sure there should be desert for him there.
John T.
This is NJ we are talking about so no firearms. I think the culprit has moved on because I see no further holes. He probably did not find enough food because as I stated there are no signs of grubs in the back yard. I did put my motion sensor light that I have on my shed back on so that may help too. I had it shut off because it is too sensitive. It comes on if a leaf blows by. Can't seem to get the sensitivity set right. But I have new neighbors now so I don't care. Thanks everyone. I will now fill in the holes and throw some seed down and then watch the birds eat the seed.
John T.
I bet it is skunks digging for grubs.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent