Fridge died after moving... any ideas?
if im not mistaken, 2 applainces that shouldnt be put on GFI's are washing machines and refrigerators?
tomsteve:  yeah, it's kind of a catch 22 tho... fridges shouldn't be on gfi's and outlets in garages need to be gfi's.

of course they say you shouldn't put fridges in unconditioned spaces either.
Did you ever get it working without the gfci ? If so get a better gfci, they have different chipsets in them to prevent false trips. The new code requires even the garage door opener receptacle to be gfci as people plug in the reel type extention cords there. Roly
My parents' 19-year-old Whirlpool side-by-side quit cooling two years ago. The light and fan would come on and it would blow air between the freezer and the refrigerator side, but the compressor wouldn't come on. Replacing the start relay on the side of the compressor fixed the problem.
I would first check the wiring (of course - unplug first).  Check real close.  If everything looks fine the I would change the GFI to a regular 1-socket outlet.  A frig can be plugged into a non-gfi circuit if it's on a dedicated outlet; same thing for washer/dryer.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Check the defrost timer/ relay
Was this frig plugged into a gfi at the original house?
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
it didn't move from house to house-- it only moved from the kitchen out to the garage when they bought a new one.
It's literally on the other side of the wall.  The original plug in the kitchen is NOT gfi

I did temporarily change the gfi to a non gfi (to eliminate the ext cord), light came on, but no fan, no compressor... just the light.

Also tried it on an ext cord to a different gfi (in the kitchen), it popped that one too.
The timer may be in the defrost mode. Try turning it slowly until the compressor comes on. 

I'm assuming it's an older fridge with a mechanical defrost.

Funny thing is I'm in ohio and swapped out LOMLs mom's fridge with a new one. Rolled the old one into the garage and is awaiting the buyer to pick it up.
(09-20-2016, 03:50 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: The timer may be in the defrost mode. Try turning it slowly until the compressor comes on. 

I'm assuming it's an older fridge with a mechanical defrost.

Funny thing is I'm in ohio and swapped out LOMLs mom's fridge with a new one. Rolled the old one into the garage and is awaiting the buyer to pick it up.

Where would i find the timer?  Somewhere in the back/bottom?

Colin