Would incorrect engine oil cause this?
When I was young, "Made in Japan" was considered as today, "Made in China", however now I know it was just repetitious slander, perhaps brought on by the competition and the jealousy of the quality in most of their products.
They did make cheap "junk" stuff (trinkets), however, they were asked to.
From what I have seen from pouring it, the 5-30 is thinner at room temp than straight weight 30. As was said before, smoking briefly on startup and extended idling is classic for oil making it past the valve stem seals. If it bugs you, change it back to 30w. My guess is it will stop smoking with 30w. If not, live with it.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
(09-14-2016, 06:21 PM)Bill Bob Wrote: Have a 1986 Honda Fourtrax 350 since new, 30 years ago.  Never any issues at all. Last week I changed the oil and filter.  I used 5w 30 oil and the book says use 10w30 wt.  Now after the change on first start up it will blow just a little smoke out the exhaust after setting idle for a day or two then nothing more.  The oil is not over filled and I have never had this before.  Any ideas?
Bill

is it blue or black smoke?

im also gonna say something in the valves and prolly seals,if its blue smoke. even though it might not seem like much of a change in viscosity, its enough for themoil to seep past the valve seals. is there any possibility it may have given that puff of smoke before the oil change? if it was rings, it would smoke all the time.
if its black smoke, then its fuel related.
Put the correct oil back in that machine - the oil also lubes the transmission and the wrong oil could also cause tranny / clutch issues with that semi-automatic transmission. Also, you can't use synthetic oil or a blend in that machine because of that transmission issue. BTW, I have a 1986 and a 1987 Honda Foreman that still run.....