Daughter help needed!
Actually, I am starting to lean towards a machinist vise.

I can assure one and all here, with daughters, things need to be EXACTLY the same, as well as the same cost. Doesn't matter what the age, they're still kids at heart (which ain't a bad thing!).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-16-2016, 08:03 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Actually, I am starting to lean towards a machinist vise.

I can assure one and all here, with daughters, things need to be EXACTLY the same, as well as the same cost.  Doesn't matter what the age, they're still kids at heart (which ain't a bad thing!).

A Wilton Bullet Machinist vise with 3" jaws would be a good and worthy choice IMO, Tony!!! Make a nice set of magnetic wood jaws for each to use when working wood...not cheap, but none better..and your girls are worth it!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Tony

I think I have a few extra #4's and #5's I can send to you for them.  If you want them send me a PM
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(09-16-2016, 01:13 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Tony

I think I have a few extra #4's and #5's I can send to you for them.  If you want them send me a PM

Appreciate the offer Arlin, but the fact is I have triplicates of my triplicates of my hand tools, which I've accumulating since the late 70's.

I thing I will start them with just a block plane, as bait on the hook!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
While not tiny, those are not large benches either.  I can see a smooth top uncluttered over the entire surface being an advantage.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(09-16-2016, 04:27 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Some details:  34 year old just wants to do work around her house, so, I think it better to have a work surface for her to get started with, and adapt as she needs items.  36 year old had a fully equipped power tool shop in college and a good instructor that taught them saftey and how to use the tools.  

Both have husbands with two left hands (each)!  Will the daughters be hand tool users? I hope, but that is not their wish for starting.  So, my thoughts are work surface (benches that can be added to), pair of saw horses each (made for sawing with a hand saw!), St. Roy styled tool tote (complete with panel rip & CC, egg beater, a few chisels, etc.) as a start (plus a few books for inspiration).

More thoughts?

Based on the initial use description, I would make them with removable height blocks under the base. With the blocks they are power tool height, Without the blocks, they are hand tool height. By designing the bases to be convertible in height you can make it a design feature rather than something that you need to scab on later when they are complaining about the low height making their backs hurt.

If the benches are not going to be pushed up against a wall along their long edge, I would agree with the suggestions of a machinist vise (with magnetic wooden jaw covers) on one corner. I would still suggest some sort of woodworking front vise on the other corner (long edge). The Columbian that is on offer down in SnS would be a good choice. Perhaps Jim or someone else has a second one waiting for someone to need it so that you could do matching.

In the other-thoughts department, for guys with 2 left hands, I would suggest adding some DVDs to the books. Depending on the interests, a fret saw and a book/DVD on fretwork Christmas ornaments might catch their fancies - especially if you can start an ornament-of-the-year competition.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I had the opportunity to buy this vise for 40 bucks, so I did. I have several vises and have to say, it is my favorite so far. I'm not easy on my vises and if they don't hold up, they get trashed. I prefer to buy old ones made in Germany or the US.
It will hold a cabinet door on the table or a pipe or piece of stock at just about any angle and hasn't slipped if tightened down right. If I had just one vise, I would choose this one or this type.

[Image: vise%2022%20002_zpsmqbr6sdb.jpg]

This is the other i wouldn't do without. It will rotate just where I need it and it is portable and steady. I used an engine stand.

[Image: vise%2022%20004_zpsmdzftobf.jpg]

I agree the table should be a minimum of 30 inches wide.
(09-15-2016, 05:57 PM)blackhat Wrote: Most of my special purpose vises and work holding jigs get clamped into the face vise

^^^This.  All my specialty vises clamp to either my tail vise or my face vise.  The workbench needs to be perfectly flat for times when assembly is required.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill