Eliminating Battery Backup on Home Security System?
I've been out of the alarm biz for 20 years now but here are my thoughts for whatever they are worth.

I was in the alarm industry for almost 16 years starting in 1979.  This was about the time the sealed lead acid (or gel cell batteries as they were called) were introduced.  They were developed to always be on charge and to delivery full voltage for the rated time. Life expectancy was 5 to 7 years.  All the alarms I ran across relied on the battery to help provide the regulated 12 volt power. Think of the battery as filter or regulator in simple terms. 
I don't know of a single alarm system I ever dealt with that the battery could be elimated but again that was 20 years ago.  Maybe newer alarms could be?
I change the batteries in my alarms (shop & house) every 5 years or so just to make sure I don't get the call from the alarm company.  My house alarm actually tests the batteries every 5 minutes.  All in all I don't recall ever having to replace batteries any sooner than every 5 to 7 years except in the two scenarios below. 
The only thing I knew of that was hard on those batteries was really dirty power which we always figured raised havoc on the charging circuits.  Or systems that went on to battery allot. Typically that would happen more in rural areas or lake places.  

The Internet is a powerful thing anymore I would google the brand and model of your alarm and see if there are any known issues that pop up. Something like this. Acme 1234 alarm battery problems. 
Otherwise I'd just bite the bullet and replace the battery every 32 months.
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
Thanks for the replies, everyone.  Well, I proved that I need a battery to bridge the 15 seconds between when the power cuts out until the generator restores power.  And Dave's input suggests it's needed more often than just when the power goes out. 

I talked with the alarm company yesterday, and they said batteries typically last at least 5 years.  They asked if I would like to set up a service appointment for a tech. to look at my system, but I declined.  I can buy a lot of batteries for that cost.  So I guess I'll just change the battery every 2 - 2.5 years from here on out. 

John
Would a ups work better.
How about a lithium motorcycle battery. Overkill, but should last.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(09-18-2016, 05:46 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: How about a lithium motorcycle battery.  Overkill, but should last.

Can a lithium battery be used in a system designed for charging lead acid batteries?  I don't know. 

John
Also, if your battery is dying, its probably how it is being charged that is the problem. Probably being overcharged. See if you can disable the charge circuit and then use a Battery Tender float charger to keep it topped off.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(09-18-2016, 03:02 PM)fixtureman Wrote: Would a ups work better.

They use the same sealed lead acid battery as the alarm just most use larger ones. 

Well with dealing with those batteries in exit signs and lights I can tell you that most of them last about 2 years some more some less. The quality of lead batteries has gotten really bad over the years. From what I have read and heard the issue is the battery companies aren't as picky about the quality of the lead they use. 
         There is a company that makes excellent quality batteries that last way longer and use a higher purity lead but they are quite pricey. I can't remember the name offhand but their batteries are red in color. (Not optima batteries as those are no better than cheapies) 
         I don't think it was us battery but I do know they make probably the best deep cycle and solar batteries out there. 
         Always had good luck with Yuasa. 

However these days the new signs and lights don't use lead acid batteries. They all use lithium cells. The same 18650 that is used in power tools laptops cars etc. Rarely does one fail. 
          Might want to check out the alarm manufacturer and see if they have an upgraded unit that uses a lithium battery or an add on retrofit kit. The issue is that charging is different on lithium. It has to switch from constant current to constant voltage at a certain point to charge correctlycorrectly not overheat.
The big thing with a ups is that it takes the alarm charging system out of the loop
I looked into the control panel more thoroughly and found where the recommended battery is a Yuasa NP4-12 which is a 4 ah battery.  What was in there when I started replacing them was a 7 ah battery, and that's what I've used thinking that was correct.  The panel said the charging circuit is 360 mA.  Would the higher capacity battery die earlier in a circuit designed for the smaller one or does it make no difference?

I see I can get a Yuasa NP4-12 from Amazon.  

I'm not sure I can disable the charging circuit, maybe. I think I'll put a new battery in first, and then check with a VOM where the charging terminals are located, and then decide.

John