Poached eggbeater drill gets served
My daughter mentioned that she had an interest in making some jewelry and showed me some abalone shell that needed tiny holes drilled for wires. I thought I might find a solution for her in the boneyard. Ahhh...I found a likely candidate right over there in the box of eggbeater drills. It was a nice MF #2 with rosewood and a storing handle. It was missing its accessory handle and it looked pretty sad. Now I use tools with patina like this all the time--but I have the same patina--just the barnacles of old age. Younger people tend to like shiny.

[Image: DSCN0632.jpg] 

I got out the Simple Green and started to clean. The chuck was in great shape and only needed a spray of WD-40 to remove 50 years of goo. Paint prep was next and of course it takes forever. Then I went to my outdoor spray booth.

[Image: DSCN0633.jpg]

While the paint was drying, I chucked a piece of scrap walnut in the lathe and turned a support handle. I found an appropriately sized bolt (metric?!?), cut off the head, and glued it into the handle. A little rattlecan poly finished it off.

This morning I finished buffing the brightwork and assembled the stray pieces. It turned out pretty good Here are the money shots.

[Image: DSCN0634.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0635.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0636.jpg]

I am letting the paint harden for a few days before I wax all of the wood pieces. The walnut handle I made in haste may be a prototype. I think I can do a better job. Anyway, this tool is ready for its new home. Bonus is that I can deliver it with a can of 3 in 1 oil and explain the proper care of oiled bushings. Must pass on the tool lore.

[Image: DSCN0638.jpg]

Thanks for looking.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Nice work, Jim! I'm sure your daughter will be very happy with the drill.

So, how did you mask off the geared wheel? Did you tape up each tooth?
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Nice work-looks as good as the "restored ones" peddled a few years back.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-17-2016, 09:46 AM)enjuneer Wrote: Nice work, Jim! I'm sure your daughter will be very happy with the drill.

So, how did you mask off the geared wheel? Did you tape up each tooth?

The wheel turned out to be simple. It has a bevel and that part was tricky because the tape did not lay true--it had to be adjusted as I went. Once I had the tape on the edge of the wheel, I just folded it down over the gears.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
nice work Jim, I'm reminded daily that I'm old, but I like shiny too.
Drills are about the most gratifying restoration projects of all.  The better brands are so nicely made and the right attention to details such as bearings, coupled with the cosmetic things that you did, makes for a really great result.  I have done probably a dozen eggbeaters and even the hopeless ones turned out to be good, useable tools with the right amount of work put into them.
Nice work, Jim.  I really like the older No. 2's with the single gear and the retainer bearing (or whatever they call it).  I think they run smoother than the newer versions.  MF made those well into the 60's.  The ones made late in their production don't come close to the quality of the older ones.  The only thing I would have changed was to remove the paint where the bearing contacts the wheel.  They were originally bare metal on that flange.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(09-22-2016, 10:14 AM)AHill Wrote: Nice work, Jim.  I really like the older No. 2's with the single gear and the retainer bearing (or whatever they call it).  I think they run smoother than the newer versions.  MF made those well into the 60's.  The ones made late in their production don't come close to the quality of the older ones.  The only thing I would have changed was to remove the paint where the bearing contacts the wheel.  They were originally bare metal on that flange.
Good tip on the wheel paint. I should have buffed the wheel side and then taped it off. Oh well, next time.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Jim:

Nice job - but if I may - I agree with the walnut side handle - a prototype - it just doesn't fit - the rest is very nice.

Well done.

Dave B
(09-22-2016, 10:14 AM)AHill Wrote: (or whatever they call it).  

lrrcw 
Wink
Jason