Glad to be Alive
(09-18-2016, 10:20 AM)AHill Wrote: Ditto.  I can't tell you how many times I was lectured in the hospital that I should have called 9-1-1.  My original thought was I could get there faster, and time was of the essence.  They reminded me that the EMTs can administer meds on the spot.  They call ahead to the ER and therefore the ER is ready for you when you arrive.  I was very fortunate I didn't pass out along the way.  I was awake and conscious for the entire procedure.  The cardiac cath unit really had their act together.

When I worked at the hospital, the code STEMI (Segment T Elevation Myocardial Infarction) intervention team had to assemble within 45 minutes anytime. They always beat that time. Another advantage of calling the EMTs is that they can do the STEMI alert and have the team assembled when you get there. Every minute counts because early intervention can limit and even prevent heart muscle damage.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
You know, when it's not open heart surgery you get to go back to work sooner. Enjoy your vacation ....  while you can.
Smirk

Sounds like you were familiar with the drill, just excited, like most would be. Me? I had no idea what was going on--or, simply in denial. I made a same day appt with my general because an "elephant" was sitting on my chest. I'm a total drug convert now; love my drugs!

It's too bad bad things need to happen before one learns what healthy food is and to eat properly. You will get used to rabbit food.
Congrats on beating the dude in a black hoody robe who carries a scythe.  Glad you decided not to go to WIA this year, you might have been in a plane.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(09-17-2016, 08:12 PM)AHill Wrote: I barely had logged onto my computer after arriving at work on Thursday, and had chest pains.  At first, it felt like really bad heartburn.  Then I felt a bit dizzy and my right arm started to hurt.  OK, this is not normal, I thought.  I took a powdered aspirin I had at my desk and immediately made my way to the ER at the nearest hospital (only about 3 miles away).  Yep.  Heart attack.  100% blockage of my left circumflex artery.  Fortunately, getting there quickly enough, and a VERY good staff, and barely 45 min after I arrived, I had a stent installed to restore the blood flow.  No other blockages.  No residual heart damage.  They did the entire procedure though the femoral artery, gaining access via my groin.  I am home now after spending 2 nights in ICU.  Blood pressure normal (it was 214/110 at the ER!).  A hair exhausted, but VERY blessed to be alive!  I lost my brother to a heart attack at age 53.  I am still a relatively young 60.

So, no knee replacement for another year.  Lots more pills to take.  Lots less kinds of food on my menu.  Lot more appreciation for friends and family.

Public Service Announcement:  If you believe you are at risk for a heart attack, keep some aspirin handy at home or work.  I had a powdered packet of Bayer aspirin at work.  I can't say for sure it saved my life, but the docs said that was the right thing to do.

Glad you dodged the bullet Allan....best of luck...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Dang, glad to hear the worst is over. Take care of yourself!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Allan,

Glad to hear you are better and got that checked when you did.   I had a similar experience...got to work before 7; there was nobody else on the floor at the time.   Turned off the hot water, grabbed my bag and left for the local fire station and asked for a ride to the hospital (didn't want to try to drive myself there and a 911 call would have actually taken longer with nobody in the building to direct them...).

Got a stent in the main artery which was 90-95% blocked and got to do some rehab shortly thereafter.   It's almost 4 (??) years now and although i have had some other pains, nothing close to the classical "symptoms".

Also...as an aside (an my own opinion only)...if you're over 60 and you had chickenpox as a kid, you may want to seriously consider a shot to help against shingles.   It's not fun (DAMHIKT).
Wow, that was a close one! So glad to hear that you made it. Take care of yourself.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
It sounds like God's not done with you yet. Glad you're on the mend!
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
Glad you knew the signs and reacted. May you celebrate many anniversaries of the day!
Allan,

I'm very happy all worked out for and your family.  It wasn't your time, thank goodness.  As a medical provider, something I've passed along to all of family is to be aware of what resources hospitals near you have.  Most importantly, which hospitals have definitive treatment for strokes, heart attacks and trauma.  All hospitals can provide "some" care for all the above but when these emergencies arise it's important to make sure you go to the right hospitals(s) or valuable time can be wasted.  EMS will know these hospitals.  

I know you reached a hospital that had a cardiac cath lab but not all hospitals have them.  Not all hospitals have an interventional radiology department either when advanced stroke care/treatment is needed.  Not all hospitals have trauma surgeons.  Most hospitals can begin treating any of these but a transfer via ambulance will have to take place for the right hospital to hopefully "fix it".  This is when 5-10 minutes can truly make a difference.  Everyone should also carry a list of their current medications, medical conditions, past surgical history and drug allergies in their wallet/purse as well.  Most important, seek immediate care when you know something isn't right.  Denial of symptoms or "it's just heartburn" takes many people every year when it otherwise could of been caught early.  Weeks worth of "heart burn" took my father at the age of 70 last year.  Don't be afraid of getting medical attention and don't deny the aging process.  

Glad to hear of the positive outcome.  Cardiac care has come a long ways over the past 30 years.  Now it's time to get your strength back up and get back to the shop when you're feeling better!