Glad to be Alive
(09-17-2016, 08:12 PM)AHill Wrote: Fortunately, getting there quickly enough, and a VERY good staff

this.  So many people don't think its important to go get checked out when having heart attack symptoms, and sometimes the ER staff doesn't recognize the symptoms and start treatment soon enough.

My FIL went in for a stroke (dragged there by his wife), and the staff immediately recognized what was going on and had him back in treatment within minutes of his arrival.  No residual effects.

Glad you made it through ok.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(09-19-2016, 02:28 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: Allan,

I'm very happy all worked out for and your family.  It wasn't your time, thank goodness.  As a medical provider, something I've passed along to all of family is to be aware of what resources hospitals near you have.  Most importantly, which hospitals have definitive treatment for strokes, heart attacks and trauma.  All hospitals can provide "some" care for all the above but when these emergencies arise it's important to make sure you go to the right hospitals(s) or valuable time can be wasted.  EMS will know these hospitals.  

I know you reached a hospital that had a cardiac cath lab but not all hospitals have them.  Not all hospitals have an interventional radiology department either when advanced stroke care/treatment is needed.  Not all hospitals have trauma surgeons.  Most hospitals can begin treating any of these but a transfer via ambulance will have to take place for the right hospital to hopefully "fix it".  This is when 5-10 minutes can truly make a difference.  Everyone should also carry a list of their current medications, medical conditions, past surgical history and drug allergies in their wallet/purse as well.  Most important, seek immediate care when you know something isn't right.  Denial of symptoms or "it's just heartburn" takes many people every year when it otherwise could of been caught early.  Weeks worth of "heart burn" took my father at the age of 70 last year.  Don't be afraid of getting medical attention and don't deny the aging process.  

Glad to hear of the positive outcome.  Cardiac care has come a long ways over the past 30 years.  Now it's time to get your strength back up and get back to the shop when you're feeling better!

Good advice!  There are two hospitals in our "metro" complex of Lancaster-Palmdale.  Both have cardio-cath labs. One has a trauma center.  My HMO has two clinics in the area, with urgent care, but no emergency services.  I was aware of what's available, but as you say, it pays to know and understand.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
So glad you are OK. Please get some rest and get well soon. Whew. Time to get some asprin at my desk.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm so glad you are ABLE to share this with us. Please keep posting as you recover!

Don
Glad to hear you had the presence of mind to recognize what was going on! And equally glad (and relieved) to know that you are feeling better.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Alan
Glad you are doing fine, I had congestive heart failure a few months ago. I always carry a small bottle of the low dose aspirin in my pocket. Take care of yourself and don't rush the healing.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I'm glad you're OK! And thank you for being open and sharing your story. We need reminders like that sometimes.
Benny

Glad to hear you are ok and doing better. All good advice. 
There was a story a month or so ago, a man was driving and felt like he was having a heart attack, he was driving his new Tesla that has a self driving feature. He asked the car to bring him to the hospital, he said he parked the car but the car and its mapping capability got him safely to the hospital and he lived to tell the tale.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Allan

I am so so so glad you are still with us buddy.  I remember long ago just waking up and hearing what happened to me and was so glad I was alive too.

There is just something about being near death and not knowing it and feeling alive afterwards.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Scary story Allan. I have a family history too.

On soapbox: most heart disease is completely curable without medications. Please pay attention to the dietary advice you are given, or seek your own. We want your wisdom to stick around.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure