Concrete Slab for Motorhome
I am contemplating pouring a 14'X40' slab for my 40,000 pound motorhome.
How thick shoud the pour be? Four or six inches?
Also considering digging a deeper pit where the tires will be - say eight or ten inches.
Is that overkill?
I will have this done by a professional contractor - a bit bigger than the small projects
I have done before.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
I like 6" concrete with rebar.

But it depends on what type of ground you are building on.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
OK, thanks. I'll consult the experts around here to see what they say.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Yep. Consult your area concrete guys.
Also, cruise by a RV park and talk to the park owners about their pads
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Would the area where you are considering digging it deeper for the tires retain water?
Crown it just a wee bit so any water will run off.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Is this for storage at your home or for "permanent"/seasonal placement at a 'camp' site?

I'd, like toolmiser, be afraid about the wheel pits holding water (causing tire rot).
I rather suspect he was talking about digging out to create a thickened part of the slab under the tires.  Top side flat(ish).
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

well, that would make a lot more sense than having holes for the tires to sit in.  Either way, another concern I'd see with that is what happens if a new unit is purchased at some point?  The extra depth won't line up right.  Maybe have a 18" wide section the full length along both sides that is a little thicker and the middle can be notably thinner since it won't bear much weight???
If my (very) rough calculations are close to accurate the difference between a 4" slab and a 6" slab are about 1 cubic yard of concrete.

How much extra labor would it take to do the digging, etc to make the extra pads, etc?

I'd just go with a 6" slab
Big Grin

But I would put some extra rebar along the wheel tracks
Cool
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)