George's Plane
Or do woodworking tools  have spirits that go with them? This Sundays fleamarket find was a Bailey #7 for $20. I was asked if it was for collection or use. For use I answered. It wasn't a collector plane anyway, what with it's hanging hole and Record Best Crucible Cast Tungsten Steel iron. I would date it from around 1924, single patented USPAT  APRIL 19, 10, but with a blued back chip breaker and unmarked lever cap. Clean, little rust and a cracked tote. Acetone  wash and G2epoxy will fix that. He told me it was his grandfather's . I walked a little way then came back and asked his grandfather's name. I don't think I will sell it, it's George's plane.
A man of foolish pursuits
I agree. It is worth keeping around. I have Bernard's brace, Jesse's level, WC's bandsaw, and too many others to name. They are my shop buddies.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I always like to hear those kinds of stories when out rust hunting.  They don't come up all that often though, as most times the seller isn't the original owner or related.  I did buy a pair of old wooden handscrew clamps a couple years ago that belonged to the grandfather of the fellow who was selling them.  The seller was in his 70's and the threaded screws were wood, so I suspect the clamps were pretty old.  I'll have to call them Clyde's clamps from now on. 
Yes
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I have Mr. Robertson's jack plane, an old woodie. I know his name because he stamped it all over the body of the plane. I've counted over 20 stamps on it. I don't know if he was excited to get a new stamp, or whether he was really anxious to mark the plane as his, but the plane itself is in very good shape. I sort of see Mr. Robertson as an obsessive-compulsive type, which suits me just fine. I think he'd approve of his plane's place in my tool chest.

I also have a couple of my grandfather's tools: a very good whetstone and a fine 1 1/4" chisel. I use both of them all the time. He wasn't a craftsman, but he was a capable handyman. I think he would appreciate the things I've built using his tools.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
this is one reason why I like old tools that have obviously been used and cared for.  Never had reason to find out any names though, that's pretty interesting. Hopefully I can imbue some more spirit  into my tools before they get passed on
Having handled literally hundreds of planes and tools, I always wonder, especially about the older ones, who owned them and what work they did with them.  Back in the day, fudge made their living with these tools, some took care of them very well, and tuned them properly for good work; and they still do the job they were intended to do.  I often smile when boxing up a plane for a new owner who I know will put it to its original use.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Just about every old plane I've seen in the wild has been "personalized" with paint splatter.  What is up with that? 
Laugh
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?