Workbench - Sacrificial Top
Oh, no, tack the hardboard, right.  Hell, glue away on the plywood below the door, no problem there.

You could screw, but brads do the job.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-19-2016, 01:19 PM)Steve Friedman Wrote: Thanks Steve,

Because I don't have the time to laminate a bunch of pine to make a top.  I have been using laminated sheets of plywood for almost 10 years and never had a problem with the edges.  I followed the suggestion by Drew Langsner to coat the edges with marine-grade epoxy and the edges hold up fine.  The damage has been to the top - mostly from using it as a general purpose bench.  It gets covered in grease, grime, oil, rust, glue, epoxy, even PVC cement.  Just about every substance you can think of.  I even drive screws into the edges sometimes if needed to attach jigs to the bench.

I'm upgrading my bench in stages.  The frame supporting my existing bench is made from poplar.  The new one is hard maple and I'm excited to have come even that far.  Maybe when it's time to replace this top, I'll be ready for one made out of wood.

Steve

You might consider using contact cement to put a piece of formica on top.. My workbench/outfeed table is general purpose like yours.
I can easily scrape dried wood glue off it, grease etc.. I can use it to pot plants and the water won't hurt it.. mud wipes off , etc.
Stuff like PVC cement is generally ok if it is immediately wiped up.
(09-19-2016, 03:01 PM)PaulJohnstone Wrote: You might consider using contact cement to put a piece of formica on top.. My workbench/outfeed table is general purpose like yours.
I can easily scrape dried wood glue off it, grease etc.. I can use it to pot plants and the water won't hurt it.. mud wipes off , etc.
Stuff like PVC cement is generally ok if it is immediately wiped up.

Thanks Paul.  You're right that a Formica top makes sense, but this is really intended to be a woodworking bench.  It's just that most of what I end up using it for has nothing to do with wood.  Maybe a second bench?  Actually, I already have one (sort of) but it really is used just as a place to park stuff.

Steve